The byelection is make or break for SIngh

59 posts / 0 new
Last post
pietro_bcc

Sean in Ottawa wrote:

pietro_bcc wrote:

Nathan Cullen never backed a merger, he backed having joint nomination meetings between the NDP, Greens and Liberals in ridings where the Conservatives won with less than 50% to avoid vote splitting. Simply nonsense that certain people perpetuate because for some reason they don't like the man.

Okay - that's not true either.

It was widely reported as a merger proposal. See:

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/regina-leader-post/20111228/281887295...

Also many who have followed the story and saw it as that actually like Cullen.

It is also was debated whether the kind of electoral coalition he meant could have been undone after anyway. also debatable as to whether the result was a temproary merger or coalition or what.

It is not reasonable to say all those who refer to it dislike Cullen. Most dislike any rapprochement with the Liberals and feared that.

I met Cullen during the leadership campaign a couple times in Ottawa. I certainly did like him.

I don't care what a collumnist at some newspaper's take on what Cullen proposed is. Could you point to one video or quote where Cullen says "I want to merge the NDP with the Liberal party", because even that article you posted says that his proposal was exactly what I said it was.

Sean in Ottawa

pietro_bcc wrote:

Sean in Ottawa wrote:

pietro_bcc wrote:

Nathan Cullen never backed a merger, he backed having joint nomination meetings between the NDP, Greens and Liberals in ridings where the Conservatives won with less than 50% to avoid vote splitting. Simply nonsense that certain people perpetuate because for some reason they don't like the man.

Okay - that's not true either.

It was widely reported as a merger proposal. See:

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/regina-leader-post/20111228/281887295...

Also many who have followed the story and saw it as that actually like Cullen.

It is also was debated whether the kind of electoral coalition he meant could have been undone after anyway. also debatable as to whether the result was a temproary merger or coalition or what.

It is not reasonable to say all those who refer to it dislike Cullen. Most dislike any rapprochement with the Liberals and feared that.

I met Cullen during the leadership campaign a couple times in Ottawa. I certainly did like him.

I don't care what a collumnist at some newspaper's take on what Cullen proposed is. Could you point to one video or quote where Cullen says "I want to merge the NDP with the Liberal party", because even that article you posted says that his proposal was exactly what I said it was.

Your statement that everyone who uses that word with respect to Cullen dislikes Cullen is what is not true. Still isn't. I have heard many who actually quite like him use this characterization -- with different meanings for merger even.

I used it in this thread as a characterization of how it was widely seen. I like Cullen.

gadar

.

Mighty Middle

Anti-gay activist Laura-Lynn Tyler Thompson, a Christian blogger, author and former co-host of The 700 Club Canada – known for her vehement opposition to the province’s SOGI 123 program – says she is going to take on Jagmeet Singh in Burnady as a candidate for the People’s Party of Canada

https://www.burnabynow.com/opinion/blogs/it-looks-like-this-anti-sogi-ac...

Debater

So is the PPC officially registered as a party with Elections Canada now and able to run candidates?

It will be interesting to see whether they take any votes away from the Conservatives.

Mighty Middle

Debater wrote:

So is the PPC officially registered as a party with Elections Canada now and able to run candidates?

It will be interesting to see whether they take any votes away from the Conservatives.

They have already set up 338 riding asociations across Canada

Left Turn Left Turn's picture

pietro_bcc wrote:

Nathan Cullen never backed a merger, he backed having joint nomination meetings between the NDP, Greens and Liberals in ridings where the Conservatives won with less than 50% to avoid vote splitting. Simply nonsense that certain people perpetuate because for some reason they don't like the man.

There's a much more basic issue with regards to Cullen than what position he took with regards to cooperation with Greens and Liberals in 2012. Notably, that Cullen declined to seek the leadership in 2017 because he of the responsibilities that come with being the father of young children. In the year and a half since he made that decision, has there been any indication that he's changed his mind on the matter?

Ken Burch Ken Burch's picture

Left Turn wrote:

pietro_bcc wrote:

Nathan Cullen never backed a merger, he backed having joint nomination meetings between the NDP, Greens and Liberals in ridings where the Conservatives won with less than 50% to avoid vote splitting. Simply nonsense that certain people perpetuate because for some reason they don't like the man.

There's a much more basic issue with regards to Cullen than what position he took with regards to cooperation with Greens and Liberals in 2012. Notably, that Cullen declined to seek the leadership in 2017 because he of the responsibilities that come with being the father of young children. In the year and a half since he made that decision, has there been any indication that he's changed his mind on the matter?

Good point.  It's never great optics for a politician to say "I'm entering the race for the party leadership, in order to spend LESS time with my family".

Pages