Femen Protests Bill C-51 topless.

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brachina
Femen Protests Bill C-51 topless.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/news/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/...

  I'm not sure how boobs make the point, but I'm happy she's fight bill C-51.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

I'm not sure it makes any point either, but it does typically ensure a bit of attention.  Whether or not that attention ends up changing hearts and minds is another story.

Same as any other "stunt", I suppose.  You can dump a ton of manure on the doorstep of the Minister of Agriculture and you'll surely get in the news, but it doesn't mean everyone will be saying "well, that cowshit fellow certainly changed MY mind about foreign tariff reductions!!"

NDPP

  Femen supported this too...

"Femen Leader Evgeniia Kraizman at the scene of the Odessa Massacre. Moments later 40 people were roasted alive. Another 150 were alegedly murdered. Hundreds more severely beaten..."

http://russia-insider.com/en/tv_politics_ukraine_media_watch/2014/10/21/...

https://www.facebook.com/FeministsAgainstFemen/photos/a.577043215662227....

FEMEN's Connections to the Ukrainian Far Right and Neo-Nazis

https://olivierpechter.wordpress.com/2014/01/17/du-communisme-aux-reseau...

 

Unionist

This stupid stunt got more MSM coverage than the beginning of the massive student strikes against austerity in Québec and the fascist police attacks.

Ooooo, titties, that's news!!

 

lagatta

Yes, while people have the right to wear as much or as little clothing as they want, I find this rather silly, and counterproductive. Women aren't just a tits and arse show.

At least she didn't do it outdoors. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Jacob Two-Two

It got a headline. I imagine that was the only intent and it was successful. It's not her fault that it takes something this ridiculous to make journalists report the news. It keeps the topic on people's minds, which is a good thing. So silly yes, but not counterproductive as far as I can see, at least within the narrow confines of opposition to C-51. Might be another story in regards to feminism.

Unionist

Jacob Two-Two wrote:

It got a headline. I imagine that was the only intent and it was successful.

That was my point. But you seem to think that's a good thing. Turning what is surprisingly a decent mass movement against Bill C-51 into some dumb stunt by an individual, and making that the headline. I personally don't think that's how people's consciousness and concern gets awakened, but I may be wrong.

NDPP

Clearly  FEMEN's Ukrainian Neo-Nazi provenance isn't a problem either...

I knew it wouldn't be.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

If nobody's cheerleading for Femen, who's supposed to renounce them?

6079_Smith_W

I think any outburst in the commons is likely to to get a mention in the media, not just ones which take place during the throne speech.

I didn't hear or see any other coverage, but the CBC hourly news piece didn't mention the fact the protester was topless until the end of the piece, didn't mention FEMEN and didn't specify that the protester was a woman. The lede was all about the fact it was a disturbance during the C-51 debate.

I didn't know people were supposed to book protests in advance to avoid stealing other protesters' thunder.

 

Jacob Two-Two

Unionist wrote:

 Turning what is surprisingly a decent mass movement against Bill C-51 into some dumb stunt by an individual, and making that the headline. I personally don't think that's how people's consciousness and concern gets awakened, but I may be wrong.

Did it, though? Did it turn the mass movement into a dumb stunt? Or is it one dumb stunt in a much larger movement? I think you're overreacting to suggest that this somehow overshadows the cogent and mature cases being made against this bill.

I think this is one those issues where the more people think about this, the more they'll turn against it, and it really doesn't matter what keeps it in the front of their minds as long as something does.

Brachina

 I doubt it will have an effect one way or the other, I just thought it was humourous, I don't find FEMEN seriously.

terrytowel

Current Parl Sec for Public Safety Roxanne James (who is also pushing the Terror Bill C-51) got her start in politics as a member of

KTO - Keep Tops On

To protest women going topless

See link for more

http://bigcitylib.blogspot.ca/2008/09/tory-candidate-roxanne-james-veter...

lagatta

The Doukhobor communities' nude protests involved everyone (at least all adults) and didn't pick out the cutest, most conventionally-beautiful and fashionably slim young women. Evidently some of the Mounties confronting them back then were ... very disappointed by what was on show. Nude protests have been held by many groups for very different and even contradictory reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudity_and_protest

As for naked bike rides, they sound ... very uncomfortable.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:

Current Parl Sec for Public Safety Roxanne James (who is also pushing the Terror Bill C-51) got her start in politics as a member of

KTO - Keep Tops On

To protest women going topless

Too funny.

In the 20-odd years that it's been legal for a woman to be topless in public, and not including Pride Day (where all sorts of people get all sorts of naked without much concern for the formal legality of it) I've seen exactly ONE woman without a shirt on.  And I'm in Kensington Market all the time, live near Trinity-Bellwoods and Christie Pits parks, and so on, so you'd think that if semi-naked women were going to be overwhelming our public spaces, I'd have noticed.

Brachina

lagatta wrote:

The Doukhobor communities' nude protests involved everyone (at least all adults) and didn't pick out the cutest, most conventionally-beautiful and fashionably slim young women. Evidently some of the Mounties confronting them back then were ... very disappointed by what was on show. Nude protests have been held by many groups for very different and even contradictory reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudity_and_protest

As for naked bike rides, they sound ... very uncomfortable.

 

 Very uncomforrable, especially if you forget the seat.

lagatta

Seat or not, those tender boy or girl parts...

And extremely uncomfortable to ride without a bra if you have an ample bosom... Pu-DUMP, Pu-DUMP...

Brachina

 black eyes ouch.

lagatta

Black eyes, non. That would be hard to imagine. Just painful tissue.

Sean in Ottawa

I don't see how these protests do any harm or good with respect to any cause. They may provide some entertainment for the participants and their groupies...

I don't get the desire to be nude in front of strangers but I recognize it is a thing.

 

bagkitty bagkitty's picture

lagatta wrote:

Yes, while people have the right to wear as much or as little clothing as they want, I find this rather silly, and counterproductive. Women aren't just a tits and arse show.

At least she didn't do it outdoors. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I know I am going to hell for this, but I am unable to resist.... had the protest taken place outside, would it not have been more likely to have a recognizable point?

Okay, I am now waiting to be accept my chastisement... (seriously, lagatta, you didn't see a comment of this kind coming?)

6079_Smith_W

bagkitty wrote:

I know I am going to hell for this, but I am unable to resist.... had the protest taken place outside, would it not have been more likely to have a recognizable point?

Depends. If it was a man doing it, obviously there would be no recognizable point at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oShTJ90fC34

 

Sean in Ottawa

6079_Smith_W wrote:

bagkitty wrote:

I know I am going to hell for this, but I am unable to resist.... had the protest taken place outside, would it not have been more likely to have a recognizable point?

Depends. If it was a man doing it, obviously there would be no recognizable point at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oShTJ90fC34

 

Any point would be overwhelmed by voyeurism. And I suspect for most that is the point.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

It definitely allows a very small group of protesters to "punch above their weight" in terms of attention and exposure (no pun intended).

Four clothed humans of either gender don't agree with something:  page 38, under the obituaries.

Four topless women don't agree with something:  front page, tweets and re-tweets, lots of attention.

Sean in Ottawa

But the news is that they are topless not an argument to support their poition -- even if people remember what their position is -- other than naked.

lagatta

It also makes serious causes look silly. While I don't agree with PETA that everyone has to go vegan, I do agree that there is a terrible lot of mistreatment of non-human animals and that it is a serious issue.

And this autocratic bill is very serious indeed, and feeds on people's fears in order to limit civil liberties and the right to protest.

I don't particularly like the "naked bike ride" movement either. I think it would be more appropriate to have people riding dressed as much or as little as they like, as weather permits. It doesn't bother me, but I see it as kind of a sideshow.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Fair enough, but when Yves Engler threw fake blood on Pierre Pettigrew, what do you think most Canadians came away with?

Every "stunt" has the potential to overshadow the idea.  I imagine it's a fine line to walk.