Justin Trudeau elbows Ruth Ellen Brosseau

237 posts / 0 new
Last post
Basement Dweller

White Cat wrote:

LOL. More PC outrage bullshit. My hypothesis is that she got right behind Trudeau hoping he would bump into her then she could fall down or something and make a big scene out of it. But she got too close to the commotion and got elbowed. This is based on the reality that NDP politicians caused the whole scene with their obstructionist games.

So she wasn't 'asking for it.' She got a whole lot more than what she was asking for! (If she had been a male, she would've known better, from experience, than to get that close to an altercation.)

Watch the video again. REB barely moved at all during the incident. As Trudeau rushed into the crowd, she was looking in the other direction. Her movements suggest she was surprised, for obvious reasons, to see Trudeau there. She certainly didn't place herself "behind" him. You are making stuff up.

quizzical

sickening Liberal  victim blamming apologists.

1st in Canadian history,  and you're minimizing it. ffs.

Basement Dweller

I know right, even with video evidence contradicting them, the LibBots will still spin away.

quizzical

what's really a piss off is they seem to believe people here are stupid enough to believe their spin.

blairz blairz's picture

kropotkin1951 wrote:

Trudeau grabbing Gord Brown was an assault and a breach of long standing tradional parliamentary rules, his elbowing Ruth seemed to be an unintentional by product of that assault but by doing that and not being aware of her presence he has created an agressive male dominated workplace where she might rightly fear for her safety. 

Here is who he reminds me of. The sheen is coming off his Crown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB1dJeMtb08

Actually Ford at least slowed down when realised the councillor was falling and then helped her up. I dont think Trudeau ever saw Brosseau but he clocked her. 

I hope she's well.

 

Stockholm

Pondering wrote:

Yes there are times when extreme measures are valid but the issue has to be rare otherwise it's just being obstructionist for the sake of it. You can keep defending the NDP but you cannot argue that this is helping the NDP or Canadians. If anything this kerfuffle will damage NDP numbers. Certainly there are times a party should put principles ahead of electibility but this isn't one of them. This is just crappy strategy.

In the end the NDP strategy worked brilliantly. The Liberals backed off and dropped their draconian, dictatorial attempt to shut down all debate in the House of Commons known as Motion 6 and Trudeau ran off like a dog with its tail between its legs. The whole point of the opposition stalling tactics was to get the liberals to back off on thjeir attempt to subvert democracy and shut down all debate for the next four years - they succeeded - I'm sure Pondering must be very upset that the opposition actually maned to get trudeau to back down on his attempt to act like an absolute dictator. 

mark_alfred

The irony of all this is that it didn't need to happen.  All the opposition, including E. May, were outraged by the proposed draconian motion-6 of the government that would have stifled debate.  And, as is common to all humans when confronted with an unfair atmosphere, people were showing their displeasure.  The small delay that happened with Gord Brown and the few NDPers is not uncommon.  Little shows of displeasure when actual debate is stifled by government are common.  But, the fact is this would have taken only a minute or two of the time had Trudeau not acted like such a moron, along with government whip Andrew Leslie.  Why?  Because only ONE whip needs to be present and seated, indicating a readiness to proceed, for the Speaker to recognize that the House is ready to be in session.  Sure, typically the speaker will wait for both whips to be seated and ready, but it's not required.  Had Leslie just sat down and indicated a readiness to proceed, there likely would have been an extra minute given to Brown to do likewise, and upon seeing that Brown (assisted by the NDPers) was stalling, the Speaker would have begun and people would have taken their seats. 

But, Leslie foolishly did not sit down, looking over and seeing that Brown was stalling (and we're only talking about 30 seconds after the bell went).  Then, in an act of incredible stupidity, Trudeau charges over like a bouncer, declares to the NDP members there to "get the fuck out of my way", grabs Brown, yanks him forward, accidentally elbows Brosseau.

All unnecessary.  Again, this was a minor show of displeasure to the Liberal's draconian motion that should have taken only a minute or two.  Trudeau, in incredible pugilistic and ignorant fashion, exploded this in ways previously thought unimaginable.  Past prime ministers have often faced small procedural delays (and sometimes even large ones like filibusters), and none have exploded and dashed across the floor grabbing and yanking people -- absolutely unheard of. 

Trudeau, to his credit, eventually apologized (his first apology was a non-apology, but he did eventually own up to it fully).

But the reaction of Liberal trolls online is truly shocking.  There's been an attempt to target Brosseau and put her on trial all Heinen-like.  Disgusting. Statements like the one below are repulsive:

Quote:
Slippin' Ruth tried to get behind Trudeau thinking he'd bump into her which she could use to make a big deal of.

Quote:
I saw the video, I didn't see anyone getting assaulted.

I've removed the names from the quotes above to give the posters a chance to edit their posts.  Anyway, the Liberal trolling theme that this is a calculated move by Brosseau to "entrap" Trudeau is mysogynistic and preposterous beyond belief.  Again, as I've outlined above, it looks to be a small expression of displeasure to the draconian motion-6 of Liberals, that at most should have taken only a minute of time, since Leslie on his own without Brown could have been recognized as ready to begin by the Speaker.  The idea that it was a master plan of Mulcair and Brosseau to entrap Trudeau, and then to begin to vilify Brosseau on this ridiculous premise of entrapment, is shockingly mysogynistic.  I've seen disgusting things online, including the two quotes above.  No one would have expected Trudeau to react in the aggressive fashion that he did.

Misfit Misfit's picture

The opposition now knows how to push JTs buttons. This is just the beginning.

mark_alfred

Misfit wrote:
The opposition now knows how to push JTs buttons. This is just the beginning.

I dunno.  Given that he's shown himself to be one who is very nice when adored but potentially very aggressive when facing displeasure, well, it would make me leery to express myself in his presence.  Self-important bosses with loose wires of the "I can be your best friend or your worst enemy" type like Trudeau freak me out.

quizzical

i don't consider him the boss of anything.

what freaks me out is the reality he believes himself above the '2 sword length' rule of why government and opposition sit so far apart. no doubt he does consider himself the ruler of Canada and can do anything he wants.

 

mark_alfred

To add to what I said in post #107:  http://www.matness.ca/en/mathieu-murphy-perron-sexist-elbowgate-backlash...

Quote:
We all know the internet can be a stenchin’ cesspool of bigotry and hate, but in the aftermath of Trudeau’s elbow colliding with Ruth Ellen Brosseau’s chest, it’s appalling to note how many people think its okay to ruthlessly rip into her.

6079_Smith_W

Aristotleded24 wrote:

6079_Smith_W wrote:

mark_alfred wrote:

We can all thank the NDP for their action against this unreasonable government.

I don't. Just because Justin committed the worst offense and wound up blinking doesn't changed the fact all parties are behaving shamefully here.

No Smith, they did not. Trudeau physically assaulted members of the Opposition. It's that simple.

Really? You do realize the only reason the government backed down is because Trudeau blew up and embarrassed them so much they had to end it, eh? Yes it was innocent enough, if extremely childish, until that happened, and I don't blame the NDP for Trudeau's actions. But I sure don't thank them for it.

Sure they won a point this time by having things get so out of order that someone got hit, but in the first place, that was more dumb luck than solid parliamentary strategy. And secondly, you can bet it is only going to work so far, so contrary to the opinion just up thread (#108), I don't see them  stopping too many government bills by poking the Liberals with a stick until Justin punches someone. And if they could, would people here see it as a good thing?

As for Mulcair's macho blowing of his top, and the way this has been spun by everyone in the wake of this - to inflame and cast as much blame as possible rather than looking at the dysfunction? Really shameful.

I am no fan of the Liberals, and I know they laid the groundwork for this blowup. But they are the only party here who took the step to end the impasse, even if they only did so because they had to.

White Cat White Cat's picture

Looks like the 'LibBots' have taken over America:

The Young Turks: Canadian Prime Minister Elbows Woman In Chest (VIDEO)

TYT are, by the way, social democrats.

Although I'm an obvious LibBot, I happen to believe these obstructionist games NDP politicians are playing are self-defeating. They are not raising awareness of Liberal arrogance and broken promises. They are distracting from it. They are not rallying Canadians behind the NDP. They are alienating voters. Of course, that's just my biased Liberal partisan opinion.

Aristotleded24

Pondering wrote:
You can keep defending the NDP but you cannot argue that this is helping the NDP or Canadians.

Try actually reading what people post on this thread. My main comments have been on Trudeau's actions, and any comments about the NDP are in response to this notion that they bear more responsibility for this farcas than the man who came over and grabbed one of his colleagues by the elbow. As for how this helps Canadians, my comment on that was:

Aristotleded24 wrote:
Such a shameful decline in political discourse. I thought that some forms of behaviour were wrong on principle, but I guess it's okay if the person doing it is on your team. In the mean time, poverty continues to plague the nation and Santa's workshop keeps melting. No wonder larger numbers of people are tuning out of politics altogether.

voice of the damned

For anyone who thought that Montreal Simon was a progressive blog, in a post dedicated to lauding Trudeau, he cites, without direct approval but certainly without condemnation, people who think what he did in the Commons is "funny"...

Quote:
They thought it was funny, made him look like a very different politician from all those crusty hacks in the House of Commons, and made them admire him even more.

And Harper was "monstrous" and Trudeau is "handsome", which I guess makes it all okay.

http://tinyurl.com/ztzt36s

6079_Smith_W

To put this in perspective:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/justin-trudeau-elbow-impact-politic...

Quote:

As the opposition celebrated its near victory, averted only when Speaker Geoff Regan was forced to cast a tie-breaking vote, the Liberals stewed, and out of that mixture came the plan to limit what their opponents could do for the rest of the session.

Poke us in the eye. And we'll try to kick you in the butt.

There's little reason now to believe harmony will suddenly emerge in the Commons. As former Liberal prime minister Jean Chrétien once told his cabinet: We control the government but we don't control the Commons.

The opposition parties know this. The Liberals appear to have forgotten.

Question is, are the Liberals the only ones who forget that it is Beauchesne, not Queensbury who sets the rules.

 

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Pondering wrote:

If any of it stuck it would be to the benefit of the Conservatives and the NDP if Trudeau were damaged by this. I saw the video, I didn't see anyone getting assaulted. This doesn't even compare to Rob Ford knocking down that elderly woman. Was it inappropriate? Sure, I will give you that, and if that was all the criticism he was getting a lot of people would probably agree. The reason it is backfiring is the exageration and dramatic accusations. The NDP is more upset about this than they are about the actual bill.

one of my FB friends wrote:

I have learned a few things from my FB friends over the last two weeks. If the wife of the PM complains that she is overwhelmed and needs more help than a chief and secretary and two nannies it is just nasty to tell her to suck it up and stop being such a drama queen. However if a female elected MP gets elbowed by the PM there is no doubt that unlike Sophie she should shut her mouth and suck it up because that is just part of life. No disconnect there!!!

I think that you seem to have been doing that very thing here on babble as well. 

blairz blairz's picture

Notalib wrote:

Stockholm wrote:

Notalib wrote:

A former barmaid may have gotten an elbow in the chest ( cant confirm with video) in a wound up crowded space she injected herself into, and the PM must resign. However the NDP leader gets hammered in an election and turfed by over 50% of his own party at convention but he should stay on?!

What a revolting comment. First of all why do you feel the need to gratuitously describe Ruth Ellen Brosseau as a 'former barmaid" - is that your attempt to denigrate and belittle her and to imply that her perspective is less valid than any other MPs??

I have not heard anyone from the NDP demand that Trudeau resign as PM - so i', not sure what straw dog you are trying to knock down...and Mulcair is not staying on - he lost the leadership review and a campaign is now underway to repalce him as leader.

 

This board is rife with demands for his resignation, I was responding to that.

Moreover, I was referring to REB's former career simply for context. REB claimed it was a tragic experience, but back in the day when I hung around bars elbows in crowded spaces where pretty much part of the daily grind for barmaids.

I like REB, I could careless that she was a former barmaid and campaigned from Vegas, and I don't believe it has any negative bearing on her political career. I just find the claims of the altercation being tramautic with someone with her former experience in that occupation to be a stretch of the imagination and the demands for resignation to be hypocritical and out of touch with the NDP leaders own actions.

 

Notalib you keep digging that whole deeper. Barmaid is a fairly antique and sexist term for a bartender and server, and suggesting that being is elbowed is part of the daily grind for servers is not only crude and insensitive its pointless, because the lady wasn't working in the bar when she was elbowed. The Prime Minister is a former bouncer and it is a little funny because if this had happened to these two when they were working in that industry no one would call for his resignation. They'd simply fire his ass.

6079_Smith_W

Interesting video. Try to ignore the colour commentary, which is offensive and uses a lot of mischaracterization and puts all the blame on the NDP.

But this does show what was happening (in particular regarding the fellow who had his back to Brown) in the moments before Trudeau decided to do what he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn9Up-tjmoM&feature=youtu.be

bekayne

6079_Smith_W wrote:

Interesting video. Try to ignore the colour commentary, which is offensive and uses a lot of mischaracterization and puts all the blame on the NDP.

But this does show what was happening (in particular regarding the fellow who had his back to Brown) in the moments before Trudeau decided to do what he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn9Up-tjmoM&feature=youtu.be

Or just mute it. But yes, it does give a clear look at the synchronized dance moves. Then again, as Peter Julian says, "that's irrelevent".

mark_alfred

Re:  post #118

Criminy 6079_Smith_W, that's just a propaganda film.  If you're interested in seeing a video of it, it's better to watch one that's not doctored with bullshit narration over freeze frames.  Briefly, within the propoganda one, the narrator claims "there's a trap right there -- she doesn't move back she moves against his body you can see" (well, no, you can't see that, because it's a single frame, and she never did move toward him).  Then "she's barely touched" (how does he know, the view is blocked by the guy in front) "and she's laughing" (you can't see her mouth).

You can see the actual uncut undoctored video here (and if you want you can slow it down to one/half or one/quarter speed under the YouTube settings).  Brosseau had turned her gaze away from the centre (36 sec) and was looking toward Ashton (seated) just as Trudeau was starting toward them.  He arrives (38 second mark), but she's not even aware he's there as she's still looking in Ashton's direction.  Some grey haired guy does see Trudeau coming, and wisely moves back, blocking our view of Brosseau, though you can still see her feet.  A second later, you see her pony tail move, indicating she turns her head toward where Trudeau is now glaring at (I believe) Mulcair while reaching and grabbing Brown (39 sec).  Her feet have not moved.  At the forty second mark you see Trudeau turn into or go back into her and you see that her feet are quite abruptly sent back (41 sec).  She immediately grabs herself and you see her yell what looks to be "ow" at 42 sec. 

6079_Smith_W

Now that I have seen it, mark alfred, he makes exactly the same blocking moves in the original as he does in the slowed down version. No doctoring at all.

I don't see the claim about Brosseau moving toward Trudeau, or smiling and looking for approval, and it doesn't matter, because he did elbow her, and she was hurt.

But then, I said that not all the claims made by the narrator were necessarily true, and that it should not be paid attention to.

I also said what I was specifically refering to, which was Brown being deliberately blocked by the man in front of him. That was not immediately clear from just looking at the original without knowing who is who.

 

 

6079_Smith_W

I agree with you there (don't know about the wilful part - that is just as much an assumption). Excuse me if that was not abolutely clear. There are quite a few things, from the editorializing to the reference to "this lady" to the false assumptions which I felt were pretty offensive.

But the images themselves do not lie.

 

Unionist

6079_Smith_W wrote:

I am no fan of the Liberals, and I know they laid the groundwork for this blowup. But they are the only party here who took the step to end the impasse, even if they only did so because they had to.

That's pretty well how I see it. Thanks for the reality check, Smith.

But the rah-rah partisans on all sides will carry on, regardless.

 

Debater

Misfit wrote:
The opposition now knows how to push JTs buttons. This is just the beginning.

I think Trudeau will be much more careful to make sure this doesn't happen again.

But he should have remembered his father's famous maxim, "Reason before passion"!

Geoff

At the heart of the issue is that Trudeau usurped the role of the Speaker of the House and the Sargeant at Arms. He doesn't seem to know the rules of Parliament, so he needs to be educated. He should have stayed in his seat and out of the fray. His behaviour is inexcusable.

To the point, the physical contact issues were the result of his hot-headedness and his ignorance. While he's clearly an arrogant fool, I don't think he saw REB and decided to give her a shot to the ribs. Discipline him for his stupidity, but it serves no useful purpose to obsess over the videotapes, looking for the second shooter on the grassy knoll. Reprimand him thoroughly and publicly, then move on. 

We need to challenge King Justin on the TPP, Bill C51, and the Saudi arms deal. Let's get on with it.

mark_alfred

Yeah.  Clearly he was being blocked (though I suspect he was wilfully being blocked).  A sort of civil disobedience.  What I found offensive about the propaganda film was the wrongful and fabricated claim that she engineered being hit.  Completely false.

Michael Moriarity Michael Moriarity's picture

Geoff wrote:

At the heart of the issue is that Trudeau usurped the role of the Speaker of the House and the Sargeant at Arms. He doesn't seem to know the rules of Parliament, so he needs to be educated. He should have stayed in his seat and out of the fray. His behaviour is inexcusable.

To the point, the physical contact issues were the result of his hot-headedness and his ignorance. While he's clearly an arrogant fool, I don't think he saw REB and decided to give her a shot to the ribs. Discipline him for his stupidity, but it serves no useful purpose to obsess over the videotapes, looking for the second shooter on the grassy knoll. Reprimand him thoroughly and publicly, then move on. 

We need to challenge King Justin on the TPP, Bill C51, and the Saudi arms deal. Let's get on with it.

I agree fully with this.

Basement Dweller

6079_Smith_W wrote:

Interesting video. Try to ignore the colour commentary, which is offensive and uses a lot of mischaracterization and puts all the blame on the NDP.

But this does show what was happening (in particular regarding the fellow who had his back to Brown) in the moments before Trudeau decided to do what he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn9Up-tjmoM&feature=youtu.be

I would not doubt if this video was watched by some of the people who made threats to REB's office.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

mark_alfred wrote:

Yeah.  Clearly he was being blocked (though I suspect he was wilfully being blocked).  A sort of civil disobedience.  What I found offensive about the propaganda film was the wrongful and fabricated claim that she engineered being hit.  Completely false.

Watching the video at half speed was good. You seem to have missed the obvious. Brown was not blocked he could easily have gone around the NDP but that would have required him to walk on the Government side of the House. Since he is a parliamentarian he knew better than to commit a breach of that tradition. Trudeau on the other hand walked across the floor twice like he owned the whole place. The ignorance and arrogance shown with his repeat breaching of one of the most basic parliamentary procedure rules is mind boggling.

Of course Brown was not trying to go through the NDP members congregated in his path in any meaningful way. Let's be clear this dance might have gone on for a minute or two more but certainly not past when the Liberal Whip sat down and the Speaker called the vote. By the way that is the Liberal Whip doing a slow motion dance up the aisle because the two Whips would normally walk up each side of the aisle almost together. I believe only one Whip needs to be seated before the Speaker stands and begins proceedings. But that apparently was far too long according to his Highness. 

Basement Dweller
Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

So the PM intentionally grabs a guy, and in the process unintentionally elbows a woman.  But the unintentional elbowing of the woman is the REAL story.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Mr. Magoo wrote:

So the PM intentionally grabs a guy, and in the process unintentionally elbows a woman.  But the unintentional elbowing of the woman is the REAL story.

The story should be that he crossed the floor of the House. Even if he had not grabbed the Con Whip or elbowed REB his behaviour was disrespectful to the spirit of the House and civil discourse. 

Unionist

Michael Moriarity wrote:

Geoff wrote:

At the heart of the issue is that Trudeau usurped the role of the Speaker of the House and the Sargeant at Arms. He doesn't seem to know the rules of Parliament, so he needs to be educated. He should have stayed in his seat and out of the fray. His behaviour is inexcusable.

To the point, the physical contact issues were the result of his hot-headedness and his ignorance. While he's clearly an arrogant fool, I don't think he saw REB and decided to give her a shot to the ribs. Discipline him for his stupidity, but it serves no useful purpose to obsess over the videotapes, looking for the second shooter on the grassy knoll. Reprimand him thoroughly and publicly, then move on. 

We need to challenge King Justin on the TPP, Bill C51, and the Saudi arms deal. Let's get on with it.

I agree fully with this.

Me too.

swallow swallow's picture

So, anyone know of discussion boards where those topics merit as much discussion as "elbow-gate"? I'm afraid babble is not the place, since posts on those topics are largely ignored and a thread on "elbow-gate" is, predictably, already long. 

Stockholm

This is all just Trudeau's true character revealing itself. Back when Trudeau was running for the Liberal leadership a friend of mine happened to sit in a booth in a restaurant beside Trudeau and his entourage after a leadership campaign event. Trudeau had had a few drinks and my friend overhead and saw him stand up and yel in a loud voice "I'm Justin FUCKING Trudeau! Nobody tells me what to do!"

mark_alfred

Mr. Magoo wrote:

So the PM intentionally grabs a guy, and in the process unintentionally elbows a woman.  But the unintentional elbowing of the woman is the REAL story.

The other part of the story is how absolutely horrendous social media are being to her.

ilha formosa

The opposition, being a minority, is going to blow this out of proportion as much as possible. But the root of the whole fracas is the lack of an adequate check on a majority government and PM's power.

Misfit Misfit's picture

I think everybody has been in the very same position before when a crowd of people are impeding your ability to advance and a person in front of you has their back to you. You move to the right to try to get around, and the person with his back to you inadvertently shifts to the right at exactly the same time. So you move to the left and the person with his back to you then shifts to the left again. Yes, it is frustrating, and yes, the NDP were out there stalling deliberately because of Motion 6. However, no one can say that the MP with his back to the Conservative whip was shifting around to deliberately block the whip from advancing. The whole NDP congregation was on the floor to slow down proceedings, but the male MP with his back to the whip was shifting around like many people do at gatherings who are having conversations and are unaware of how obnoxious their movements are. I highly doubt there were other MP's telling him to shift right now and shift left now. His back was to the whip and this frustrating movement happens all the time. I had a similar experience just the other day trying to get to the Parmesan cheese in the grocery store isle. And the Conservatives did not complain about the NDP MP, it was Trudeau and the Liberals, the ones who were trying to stifle democracy in the House of Commons because they nearly lost a vote earlier in the week.

Misfit Misfit's picture

I've even had obnoxious conversationers with their backs to me who were shifting around and preventing me from being able to get around them actually back into me after stifling my movements to the right and then to the left. Shit happens.

mark_alfred

Pretty funny article in Vice about the situation.  http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/justin-trudeaus-promise-to-fix-parliament...

MegB

Notalib wrote:

Wait a minute....

A former barmaid may have gotten an elbow in the chest ( cant confirm with video) in a wound up crowded space she injected herself into, and the PM must resign. However the NDP leader gets hammered in an election and turfed by over 50% of his own party at convention but he should stay on?!

Sadly, the NDP has become so outwardly hypocritical and out of touch I am not sure there is much of a future for them. This display is disgusting, but it has nothing to do with the PM's behaviour who has clearly allowed NDP antics to get under his skin in the last while.

 

Characterizing a respected MP as a "former barmaid" implies that she has less value than other MPs. This is unacceptible in a space which supports women. You should apologize.

MegB

Stockholm wrote:
I nominate "pondering" for an award for HYPOCRITE OF THE YEAR
This is a personal attack - please desist.

MegB

White Cat wrote:

BTW, Ruth Ellen Brosseau reminds me of Slippin' Jimmy from Better Call Saul. He would go into a grocery store, pour a thing of milk on the floor, then take a big fall and sue the place. Slippin' Ruth tried to get behind Trudeau thinking he'd bump into her which she could use to make a big deal of. Looks like she got more than she bargained for! 

This is misogynist garbage and is in violation of babble policy. Next person to  victim-blame Brosseau gets suspended.

NorthReport

One way for this story to be put to bed would be for Justin to actually contact, by phone is good enough, Ruth Ellen Brosseau, who he accidently elbowed and apologise to her. 

No party including the NDP is clean in this inappropriate incident.

 

Aristotleded24

MegB wrote:
Stockholm wrote:
I nominate "pondering" for an award for HYPOCRITE OF THE YEAR
This is a personal attack - please desist.

I can only respond to that with language that I have rarely, if ever, used on public discussion boards:

Have you seen some of the nasty misogynistic shit that Pondering has posted in denigrating Brosseau?

Meg, I realize that moderating is a tough job, but there is a persistent pattern of posts which are clearly designed to irritate people and nobody says anything.

JKR

Aristotleded24 wrote:

MegB wrote:
Stockholm wrote:
I nominate "pondering" for an award for HYPOCRITE OF THE YEAR
This is a personal attack - please desist.

I can only respond to that with language that I have rarely, if ever, used on public discussion boards:

Have you seen some of the nasty misogynistic shit that Pondering has posted in denigrating Brosseau?

Meg, I realize that moderating is a tough job, but there is a persistent pattern of posts which are clearly designed to irritate people and nobody says anything.

Saying nothing might be a great way to deal with posts that are designed to irritate people?

Unionist

JKR wrote:

Saying nothing might be a great way to deal with posts that are designed to irritate people?

100% agree. 150%. Ignoring provocations works wonders.

Building on that idea, my fervent wish is that everyone in Canada, on all "sides", would collectively forget that 30-second incident in the House. The more said about it, the worse it will be. There are literally no "teachable moments" here. 

abnormal

From somewhere on the iternet

Quote:
This is not a political post. It’s quite literally the opposite. I’m neither a Liberal, Conservative, nor NDP devotee. I’m just a Canadian embarrassed at how yesterday's events in the house were politicized.

A group of NDP MPs blocked Opposition Whip Gord Brown from getting to his seat. Trudeau stepped in to pull Brown through the crowd and accidentally bumped NDP MP Ruth Ellen Brosseau. He didn’t elbow her. He didn’t hit her. He bumped into her the way everyone who rides public transit gets bumped into every single day.

I’m not saying Trudeau’s a hero who rescued Gord Brown from a pack of schoolyard bullies. In fact, I’m not even defending him. Why? ‘Cause f*ck Trudeau – he can defend himself. THIS jag isn’t about him.

It’s about how the NDP chose to take a petty incident, which their MPs instigated, as a political opportunity to paint Trudeau as a guy who can’t control his temper and hits women. Conservative MP Lisa Raitt even went so far as to compare Trudeau to Jian Ghomeshi. Really. That actually happened.

If the only way you can bring attention to your party is by dramatizing non-events like this, your party needs better ideas. If you think you're fooling Canadians, you're wrong. We just feel insulted and underestimated.

You wanna run this country? Be better. Otherwise, piss off.

 

mark_alfred

abnormal wrote:

From somewhere on the iternet

Quote:
This is not a political post. It’s quite literally the opposite. I’m neither a Liberal, Conservative, nor NDP devotee. I’m just a Canadian embarrassed at how yesterday's events in the house were politicized.

[..]

You [NDP] wanna run this country? Be better. Otherwise, piss off.

 

Selp-professed open minded swing voters with no allegiance to anyone being furious with the NDP seem to be a common occurrence on the Internet, including here at Babble.  A common brand of internet Liberal spam.

Pages