Liberal misogynists spew hate against Ruth Ellen Brosseau

230 posts / 0 new
Last post
pookie

MegB wrote:

Pondering, your characterization of Trudeau's action as "accidental touching" is idiotic. Unintentional or not, a hard jab to the chest is not "touching".

"Touching" is not out of line for a criminal law analysis, though, especially if the larger frame is that there is a sexual context to this. Ie., "sexual harrassment" plus "assault" generally gets you to "sexual assault".  

One could also say "application of force", drawing on assault, but the "force" required is very minimal.

I realize that to some, "touching" may seem to make what happened too minor, but others have brought up the criminal law angle.

quizzical

welcome. i see you just joined yesterday.

no one else has a reason to spew hate other than the Liberals. we can see here what's happening. you for one are a good example. join and the first thing you do is attempt to minimalize and victim blame all at the same time.

you don't get to decide what's traumatic in the work place or not.  people like you are further traumatizing Ms Brosseau.

 

Crystal221 wrote:
Not all the hate aimed at Brosseau is being done by liberals. I found out what happened because of a facebook rant video about it made by a woman who despises Trudeau. After making hateful comments about Trudeau, she moved on to do the same to Brosseau blaming her for not getting out of the way.

I think a lot of the backlash Brosseau is facing is because of some of the press and her fellow politicians. They are making what happened look like joke by extraggerting the incident especially NDP MP Niki Ashton who acts like Trudeau brutally attacked Brosseau by calling his actions deeply traumatic (if she seriously believes that being elbowed in the chest is deeply traumatic, she needs to visit with victims of violent crimes and others who have gone through actual truamatic experiences because while it was wrong what happened to Brosseau is no where close to being traumatizing).

jjuares

Crystal221 wrote:

I think a lot of the backlash Brosseau is facing is because of some of the press and her fellow politicians.


WOW! What a reprhensible sentence. Brosseau is receiving all these vile comments because of Nikki Ashton? I would place the blame on the people making these vile comments but hey the Liberals are spinning this every way they can. Of course, with every spin their " reasoning" gets more tenuous and their ethics and morals shakier.

Misfit

Says you, or Brousseau? And how traumatizing do you think all the hate mail is that she is receiving? Yes, the threats of violence against her and death threats? Do you speak authoritively about her experiences on that as well? Even Gereald Butts is concerned.

Aristotleded24

quizzical wrote:
no one else has a reason to spew hate other than the Liberals.

Yeah, even as vile as the Conservatives have been towards women and their anti-women policies while they were in government, I've noticed that none of them have gone after Brosseau either.

lagatta

Look at this: http://montrealsimon.blogspot.ca/2016/05/elbowgate-and-trudeau-hater-los...

lagatta à montréal 9:10 AM

Niki Ashton is very much aware of the dire situation of Indigenous communities in her riding. Why are you maligning one of the best leftists in Parliament?

ReplyDeleteReplies

  1. Omar11:19 AM

    Because she shot her mouth off in an inappropriate and idiotic way? Just a guess.

  2. Simon3:47 PM

    Thanks Omar...like so many Trudeau haters, lagatta can't seem to think straight these days. Can't seem to understand that the idiot Ashton just made a mockery out of the struggle for women's rights, by trying to turn an accidental bump into a gender-based assault.

    P.S. Am I the only one to think that Ashton looks a lot like one of the Angry Birds?

  3. lagatta à montréal4:43 PM

    What sexist crap. We get insulted if we are even in the slightest too plump, and I guess now if we are small and thin. (I've been both = and am always short).

    Delete

  4. Simon4:48 PM

    What the hell are you talking about? And stop playing the sexism card like those NDP oafs. I'm describing a state of mind, not whether she's small or thin, or tall or short. Do you even know who the Angry Birds are? Accuse me of being a sexist again and you're out of here for good...

  5. I responded to the last insult. Calling me a "hater" of the PM could even cause me legal problems. I wish no harm whatsoever to him or his family. I guess that for some people, there is no ground between uncritical love and vicious hatred...

Unionist

Aristotleded24 wrote:

quizzical wrote:
no one else has a reason to spew hate other than the Liberals.

Yeah, even as vile as the Conservatives have been towards women and their anti-women policies while they were in government, I've noticed that none of them have gone after Brosseau either.

In fact, they (Lisa Raitt, Rona Ambrose, and Kellie Leitch) have eloquently defended her, speaking out against workplace violence. 

milo204

the puckering sounds of lib/trudeau worshippers is really indicative of how great the propaganda machine in canada is working. 

And their inability to see the irony of the first "feminist" pm acting like this and expecting to shrug it off with harper level dismissal is hilarious and scary at the same time.

i even had one person refer to him as "our dear leader" on fb...shades of dprk level leader-worship going on right now. 

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

Wel, the discussion on this thread continues to progress.

We have Liberals saying nothing to see here, move along, the NDP is hurting itself, and is a bunch of sore losers, on one hand. On the other, of course, are the NDP supporters who say the opposite.

For me, it is rich to hear any LPC supporter lecturing New Democrats on being sore losers, or whiners. Liberals have been the sorest winners I have ever seen. From Trudeau's "I left them in my dust comments", to the house committee on election fraud (is that what it is called, can't remember), going after New Democrats to "pay up" for their crimes", all I have seen is the Libs rubbing NDP noses in it at every opportunity. And I ACTUALLY KNOW Niki Ashton personally, I've talked to both her and her dad at Convention more than once and had dinner with them. I know them well enough to say that Nike Ashton is not doing this solely for political purposes, and it is absolutely, pure, unmitigated, garbage. I say it again, GARBAGE for anyone to assert that is her only motivation, if it is indeed a motivation; maybe she's just being what I know Female NDP members to be, woman who are Champions of equality, and Fairness! The LPC DOES NOT have the monopoly on this. Mind you for some LPC partisans who post here, and who are ALL TALK AND ABSOLUTELY no action, this is par for the course. I expect no more nor no less and you folks, NEVER fail to deliver! Bravo!

So the NDP obstructed in the house? So what? They are an opposition party trying to force the Government of PRIME MINISTER JUSTIIN TRUDEAU to back down on something not even HARPER dreamed of doing. What about all the antics of the "Liberal Rat Pack", who were famous for pulling off stunt like this? It's OK because they're Liberals?

The fact remains Trudeau acted like a petulant little child who wasn't getting his way. The issue is about character. And it has some legs. This will eventually play itself out, but to hear, ANY LPC partisan telling the NDP how it should react to this is the height of arrogance but in keeping with your party and your leader, and frankly, yourselves. I'm not surprised by any of this. I expected it. It is something that I've come to expect on here, the only time this kind of thing matters is when LPC women are affected. This is not the only time NDP women have been attacked on here and it won't be the last.

I am so sick and tired of the lecturing, the pontificating, and arrogance of the LPC posters on this board. You'll all say ANYTHING that suits you no matter how absurd, contradictory, tone-deaf or just plain down right stupid it is, if it suits you.

The seeds of this were sown when Trudeau, in Toronto, claimed to assume Jack Layton's (blessed be his memory) mantle, and dismiss the NDP and its membership. Membership of ordinary Canadians who DO NOT see the LPC as offering anything. Aided by the MSM, the Libs continue on their merry way. Oddly, my girlfriend, still thinks the NDP were totally wrong and asked for this; if they only behaved and respected Parliament. Suffice it to say, I love her, and just don't discuss this with her anymore. But when the NDP can't even win over my girlfriend, there is a problem. But to lay that completely on the NDP and offer advice, is just plain, old fashioned, out right ridiculous.

I've voted and worked for the NDP for over 40 years; my parents did before me, and my grandparents before them (I'm talking legacy not actually NDP existence, so don't start with the smart alec corrections those of you who are tempted). To watch the Sun King leading this nation is simply too much to take. Some day that stupid smirk will come off his arrogant, smarmy face, and I, for one, will enjoy every minute of it. Nuts to you Justin Trudeau, you big, whining, petulant, stupid, arrogant, baby! 

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

milo204 wrote:

the puckering sounds of lib/trudeau worshippers is really indicative of how great the propaganda machine in canada is working. 

And their inability to see the irony of the first "feminist" pm acting like this and expecting to shrug it off with harper level dismissal is hilarious and scary at the same time.

i even had one person refer to him as "our dear leader" on fb...shades of dprk level leader-worship going on right now. 

Absolutey agree!

lagatta

I disabled rich text before I posted, and it didn't seem to work, though it did in the preview. Could someone help?  Of course the Mounties have my fiche for other (peaceful) stuff, but the idea that I could be a "hater", which sounds to me like someone who could be potentially violent, is a very serious accusation and absolutely unfounded. I'm the type who apologises to trees and flowers if I bump into them. I've been unfailingly polite to JT at the community group meetings where I've met him.

For obvious geographical reasons, and never having been at a conference (most likely on Indigenous issues) with her,  I don't know Niki personally, but similar accusations have been made against Alexandre Boulerice. While I wouldn't pretend to call Alex a bosom buddy, he is a bosom buddy of extremely close friends and we have had many pleasant encounters; Alex, me, Alex's spouse Lisa Djevahirdjian and the kids. We ride our bicycles around the neighbourhood and I often run into Alexandre, Françoise David our Québec solidaire MNA and the élus from Projet Montréal.

voice of the damned

I can't believe Simon tried to pass off "looks a lot like one of the Angry Birds" as a comment on someone's state of mind.

White Cat White Cat's picture

This thread has got to be one of the most ridiculous displays I've ever come across on the social media. It just goes to show how partisan politics can completely shred all capacity in a person to rational thought.

The paranoia reminds me of what I've seen in Christian fundamentalists. They see devils everywhere. But instead of Satan waiting around every corner to steal your soul, it's ubiquitous 'misogynist' Liberal partisans persecuting poor innocent Dipper politicians.

Of course, they're not so innocent. They got the boneheaded idea they would physically block the path of the Con whip to obstruct a vote — a scheme Ruth Ellen Brosseau was directly involved in.

The tradition before a vote is that the government whip and the opposition whip walk up the center aisle, each to their side of the aisle, to the Speaker's chair. There they nod to the Speaker and take their seats. Then the vote commences.

NDP MPs, directed by Mulcair, decided they would block the opposition side of the aisle and prevent the opposition whip from reaching the Speaker. When the Con MP moved left or right, the MPs would move in sync to block him. That's when Trudeau did what most people would consider the sensible thing: he walked over and broke up the nonsense so the opposition whip could go to his position in front of the Speaker.

Whether REB was elbowed by Trudeau or is just faking it is irrelevant. She has no credibility given her initial actions were corrupt.

None of this has anything to do with misogyny or Liberal partisanship. Canadians saw someone acting dishonestly trying to get their prime minister in trouble and their reaction was, understandably, anger and outrage.

If the goal of the NDP is to get Canadians to absolutely freaking hate the party and vow to never vote NDP as long as they live, they are doing an excellent job!

BTW, here's one guy's interpretation of events that got over a million hits on YouTube:

Justin Trudeau's supposed elbow assault nothing but a set up. NDP deception

Is this guy a Liberal partisan? Who knows? But his video got 93% thumbs up and 7% thumbs down. Perhaps Dippers are nostalgic for the Audrey McLaughlin days when they got 7% of the popular vote in the 1993 election. That's where they're headed.

 

Basement Dweller

White Cat, I think you might projecting some of your own issues onto the NDP. Take it easy.

White Cat White Cat's picture

Basement Dweller wrote:

White Cat, I think you might projecting some of your own issues onto the NDP. Take it easy.

My interpretation predicts the NDP plummeting in the polls. So I imagine time will tell who's getting carried away here.

If the NDP are looking to Rat Pack the Liberals, they must keep in mind they have to win the people over to their cause first, then the people might cheer obstructionist politics. Right now the NDP has the cart before the horse.

(The Liberals rat-packed the Mulroney Cons by opposing neoliberal reforms. This before Chretien and Martin turned the Liberals into the Brian Mulroney party. So the NDP goal should be to expose neoliberal policies implemented by both Liberals and Cons over the past 30 years and ride the Bernie Sanders tide. This would manifest itself in rising NDP polling numbers and falling Liberal ones.)

White Cat White Cat's picture

BTW, consider how the NDP was leading in the polls for a few months before the election start. This after Trudeau commanded a big lead since announcing his leadership bid a couple years before. How did this happen? People saw that the Liberal party was too right-wing.

The Liberals polished their image (with a lot of help from their friends in the establishment news media) and became 'the real party of the Left.' (Not remotely true. But this was the establishment meme that won Trudeau the election.)

So long story short: the Liberals plummeted in the polls before by being too right wing. This can happen again if the NDP works to expose their neoliberal policy positions. Getting involved with weasel politicking only distracts from the faulty Trudeau Liberal record. It's pointless and counterproductive.

 

Aristotleded24

White Cat wrote:
When the Con MP moved left or right, the MPs would move in sync to block him. That's when Trudeau did what most people would consider the sensible thing: he walked over and broke up the nonsense so the opposition whip could go to his position in front of the Speaker.

No, the sensible thing would have been to ask the Speaker and the Sargeant at Arms to handle this if he had a reason to think there was deliberate obstruction happening. If your interpretation is correct, then why did Brown complain about Trudeau's interference rather than thanking him?

White Cat wrote:
BTW, here's one guy's interpretation of events that got over a million hits on YouTube:

Justin Trudeau's supposed elbow assault nothing but a set up. NDP deception

Is this guy a Liberal partisan? Who knows? But his video got 93% thumbs up and 7% thumbs down. Perhaps Dippers are nostalgic for the Audrey McLaughlin days when they got 7% of the popular vote in the 1993 election. That's where they're headed.

Large percentages of people in the US believe Jesus will return and that the Book of Revelation will come to pass as it is written. What's your point?

ETA: I watched this guy's video. 3 minutes of my life I won't get back. He's reading way too much into the behaviour of the NDP MPs. I also find it highly disrespectful and insulting to Brown, as if Brown is a poor child who is too helpless to move his way around a group of MPs. If you look at the space he was standing in, it was a very small space, it probably gets crowded quite frequently, so I imagine that he was quite used to having to maneouver around people.

White Cat White Cat's picture

Aristotleded24 wrote:

White Cat wrote:
When the Con MP moved left or right, the MPs would move in sync to block him. That's when Trudeau did what most people would consider the sensible thing: he walked over and broke up the nonsense so the opposition whip could go to his position in front of the Speaker.

No, the sensible thing would have been to ask the Speaker and the Sargeant at Arms to handle this if he had a reason to think there was deliberate obstruction happening. If your interpretation is correct, then why did Brown complain about Trudeau's interference rather than thanking him?

Trudeau didn't do the sensible thing by Parliamentary rules. (He technically committed two acts of assault.) But my position is that his actions would appear fairly sensible to the average person.

In politics, public perception is everything. The NDP can attempt to blame public antipathy towards them regarding this incident on something like a prevalent misogynist sentiment in a patriarchal society. But they are only fooling themselves. They don't hold the high moral ground in this debacle. Everyone knows they were the source of it.

 

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

White Cat wrote:

This thread has got to be one of the most ridiculous displays I've ever come across on the social media. It just goes to show how partisan politics can completely shred all capacity in a person to rational thought.

The paranoia reminds me of what I've seen in Christian fundamentalists. They see devils everywhere. But instead of Satan waiting around every corner to steal your soul, it's ubiquitous 'misogynist' Liberal partisans persecuting poor innocent Dipper politicians.

Of course, they're not so innocent. They got the boneheaded idea they would physically block the path of the Con whip to obstruct a vote — a scheme Ruth Ellen Brosseau was directly involved in.

The tradition before a vote is that the government whip and the opposition whip walk up the center aisle, each to their side of the aisle, to the Speaker's chair. There they nod to the Speaker and take their seats. Then the vote commences.

NDP MPs, directed by Mulcair, decided they would block the opposition side of the aisle and prevent the opposition whip from reaching the Speaker. When the Con MP moved left or right, the MPs would move in sync to block him. That's when Trudeau did what most people would consider the sensible thing: he walked over and broke up the nonsense so the opposition whip could go to his position in front of the Speaker.

Whether REB was elbowed by Trudeau or is just faking it is irrelevant. She has no credibility given her initial actions were corrupt.

None of this has anything to do with misogyny or Liberal partisanship. Canadians saw someone acting dishonestly trying to get their prime minister in trouble and their reaction was, understandably, anger and outrage.

If the goal of the NDP is to get Canadians to absolutely freaking hate the party and vow to never vote NDP as long as they live, they are doing an excellent job!

BTW, here's one guy's interpretation of events that got over a million hits on YouTube:

Justin Trudeau's supposed elbow assault nothing but a set up. NDP deception

Is this guy a Liberal partisan? Who knows? But his video got 93% thumbs up and 7% thumbs down. Perhaps Dippers are nostalgic for the Audrey McLaughlin days when they got 7% of the popular vote in the 1993 election. That's where they're headed.

 

As Tommy Douglas said, there were White Cats and Black Cats. We KNOW where you stand. If you don't like the content of this thread, then don't comment. But it isn't up to you to decide whether those of commenting here are contributing something meaningful. Try getting over yourself.

White Cat White Cat's picture

Aristotleded24 wrote:

White Cat wrote:
BTW, here's one guy's interpretation of events that got over a million hits on YouTube:

Justin Trudeau's supposed elbow assault nothing but a set up. NDP deception

Is this guy a Liberal partisan? Who knows? But his video got 93% thumbs up and 7% thumbs down. Perhaps Dippers are nostalgic for the Audrey McLaughlin days when they got 7% of the popular vote in the 1993 election. That's where they're headed.

Large percentages of people in the US believe Jesus will return and that the Book of Revelation will come to pass as it is written. What's your point?

ETA: I watched this guy's video. 3 minutes of my life I won't get back. He's reading way too much into the behaviour of the NDP MPs. I also find it highly disrespectful and insulting to Brown, as if Brown is a poor child who is too helpless to move his way around a group of MPs. If you look at the space he was standing in, it was a very small space, it probably gets crowded quite frequently, so I imagine that he was quite used to having to maneouver around people.

The total thumbs-up and thumbs-down votes are around 10,000. That's a lot larger sample size than pollsters use.

I imagine it could be biased towards younger people (given you have to sign up to vote, which is more likely among a younger demographic.) But this gives a pretty good ballpark estimate of how Canadians are aligning on this incident.

I would say it's a fact that NDP MPs were blocking the opposition whip's path for the explicit purpose of obstructing the vote. You can see the Liberal whip looking back: 'Where on Earth is the Con whip?' with the vote bell going off. You can see NDP MPs moving back and forth to block him. That particular cat is out of the bag.

 

lagatta

Voice of the damned, I don't have a television and have no idea who the Angry Birds are. Of course I've vaguely herd of them on the net, but I have zero interest in that kind of stuff. I suspect that Simon's comments are ageist. (I'm younger than Corbyn and a lot younger than Sanders).

I'm mostly terribly disappointed as  Simon was always big on supporting the underdog and standing up to bullies.

 

 

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

Who cares what the Tory Whip faced? All he had to do was go around the table! The fact that the NDP is being called out for acting like the Oppostion party it is supposed to be given the seriousness of the issue is telling. That is why people on this thread are so damn mad. Sure, we'll get tired of commenting on this, nothing will change, and the NDP's demise will continue to be forecast. But when the dust settles, the NDP will still be around and Trudeau will still be number one candidate for "upper class twit of the year".

White Cat White Cat's picture

Arthur Cramer wrote:

As Tommy Douglas said, there were White Cats and Black Cats. We KNOW where you stand. 

I don't think you do. My name is, in fact, a reference to the Mouseland parable. It implies the Liberal party is a party of false hope. They pretend to be progressive. Pretend to represent the people. But they really represent the establishment and their outrageous exploitation of the people. (The cats eating the mice.)

If the NDP gets a Bernie Sanders kind of leader and brings the movement to Canada, I'll definitely join the cause. But this incident is not a cause and not something worth fighting for, IMO.

 

Basement Dweller

Top Secret NDP deceptive strategy revealed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RDHrOlPtfSvDY&v=S0JCoMYpiA0

White Cat White Cat's picture

Arthur Cramer wrote:

Who cares what the Tory Whip faced? All he had to do was go around the table! 

It doesn't work like that. The opposition whip has to walk down the opposition side of the center aisle. 

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

White Cat wrote:

Arthur Cramer wrote:

As Tommy Douglas said, there were White Cats and Black Cats. We KNOW where you stand. 

I don't think you do. My name is, in fact, a reference to the Mouseland parable. It implies the Liberal party is a party of false hope. They pretend to be progressive. Pretend to represent the people. But they really represent the establishment and their outrageous exploitation of the people. (The cats eating the mice.)

If the NDP gets a Bernie Sanders kind of leader and brings the movement to Canada, I'll definitely join the cause. But this incident is not a cause and not something worth fighting for, IMO.

 

First of all, I know full well what Mouseland was about. Why are there so many people on here who think they're smarter than me? Secondly, given the content of your posts, I personally am doubtful you're a "fellow traveller", IMO.

Misfit

Arthur, you're "doubtful" he's a fellow traveller? I think he outed himself, and his handle does speak volumes.

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

Misfit wrote:
Arthur, you're "doubtful" he's a fellow traveller? I think he outed himself, and his handle does speak volumes.

OK, I withdraw my fellow travellers comment.

Aristotleded24

White Cat wrote:

Aristotleded24 wrote:

White Cat wrote:
When the Con MP moved left or right, the MPs would move in sync to block him. That's when Trudeau did what most people would consider the sensible thing: he walked over and broke up the nonsense so the opposition whip could go to his position in front of the Speaker.

No, the sensible thing would have been to ask the Speaker and the Sargeant at Arms to handle this if he had a reason to think there was deliberate obstruction happening. If your interpretation is correct, then why did Brown complain about Trudeau's interference rather than thanking him?

Trudeau didn't do the sensible thing by Parliamentary rules. (He technically committed two acts of assault.) But my position is that his actions would appear fairly sensible to the average person.

Actually, I think the average person's reaction to the whole thing and to all the players involved was closer to "to hell with these political assholes, they're all playing silly games and don't care about the average working person."

Aristotleded24

White Cat wrote:
Aristotleded24 wrote:

White Cat wrote:
BTW, here's one guy's interpretation of events that got over a million hits on YouTube:

Justin Trudeau's supposed elbow assault nothing but a set up. NDP deception

Is this guy a Liberal partisan? Who knows? But his video got 93% thumbs up and 7% thumbs down. Perhaps Dippers are nostalgic for the Audrey McLaughlin days when they got 7% of the popular vote in the 1993 election. That's where they're headed.

Large percentages of people in the US believe Jesus will return and that the Book of Revelation will come to pass as it is written. What's your point?

ETA: I watched this guy's video. 3 minutes of my life I won't get back. He's reading way too much into the behaviour of the NDP MPs. I also find it highly disrespectful and insulting to Brown, as if Brown is a poor child who is too helpless to move his way around a group of MPs. If you look at the space he was standing in, it was a very small space, it probably gets crowded quite frequently, so I imagine that he was quite used to having to maneouver around people.

The total thumbs-up and thumbs-down votes are around 10,000. That's a lot larger sample size than pollsters use.

I imagine it could be biased towards younger people (given you have to sign up to vote, which is more likely among a younger demographic.) But this gives a pretty good ballpark estimate of how Canadians are aligning on this incident.

It could also be a self-selecting group, for example people already predisposed to accept the Liberal spin and receiving confirmation, or people who actively chosed to seek out information and perspectives on this topic. You can also find MRA videos attacking feminism that have just as many views and as high a percentage of people who like. It does not necessarily reflect public sentiment, just the sentiment of the people who cared enough to watch it.

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

I can tell you at my work place, people didn't know that the whole thing was over motion 6. Even after I explained it to them, they sitll didn't care. I don't know how people decide to vote, but more and more I'm becoming convinced that a large proportion of the "masses are asses"!

voice of the damned

lagatta wrote:

Voice of the damned, I don't have a television and have no idea who the Angry Birds are. Of course I've vaguely herd of them on the net, but I have zero interest in that kind of stuff. I suspect that Simon's comments are ageist. (I'm younger than Corbyn and a lot younger than Sanders).

 

 

That's okay. I'm younger than Rachel Notley, and only know about Angry Birds because some of my students told me about it years ago.

 

FWIW, Angry Birds is a game, played on cell phones, but I believe it's branched out into other media as of late.

 

 

Misfit

Sorry Arthur, I guess I wasn't clear. I was supporting your post when you were outing him as a Liberal. That's exactly what he is.

Misfit

And yes, I find that unless one is a highly paid and highly educated professional who is selfish and out for only one's own self interests, the less one follows current events in general, the less educated the person, the lower the capacity of the individual to think for one's own, the more inclined the person is to support the two corporate backed parties.

mark_alfred

Arthur Cramer wrote:

I can tell you at my work place, people didn't know that the whole thing was over motion 6. Even after I explained it to them, they sitll didn't care. I don't know how people decide to vote, but more and more I'm becoming convinced that a large proportion of the "masses are asses"!

A post that makes me laugh and cry simultaneously.

mark_alfred

White Cat wrote:

BTW, here's one guy's interpretation of events that got over a million hits on YouTube:

Justin Trudeau's supposed elbow assault nothing but a set up. NDP deception

Is this guy a Liberal partisan? Who knows? But his video got 93% thumbs up and 7% thumbs down. Perhaps Dippers are nostalgic for the Audrey McLaughlin days when they got 7% of the popular vote in the 1993 election. That's where they're headed.

Oh great.  Now you're referring to this idiotic wannabe Zapruder Film.  I agree that many people have seen it.  It came out very soon after, and had extensive push online, which does make me wonder. 

The narrator doesn't seem to really know what he's talking about.  He gets Trudeau's name right, but that's it.  He doesn't even know either Brosseau's name or Mulcair's.  In fact, when at one point Brosseau is looking toward the benches on her right (in Ashton's direction) the narrator says, "there she is laughing looking at the party leaders."  Problem with this is that Mulcair is on her left.  (and the idea that it could be a reference to the house leaders is as likely as pigs flying)

So, he doesn't know Ashton, or Brosseau, or even Mulcair, and only knows Trudeau's name.  It can't be a Canadian who's doing the video.  Who is doing this video?  Who commissioned this video to be done?  It was released almost immediately after the event, and spread like wildfire (meaning a lot of people were promoting it heavily online).

Anyway, it's just spouting falsehoods, as I've mentioned previously in post #121 of the "Justin Trudeau elbows Ruth Ellen Brosseau" thread.  Mainly, it's a complete lie when he claims that Brosseau approaches Trudeau (to set him up).  Complete lie.  He moves toward her quite suddenly, and she (when you view her feet) goes quite far back -- you can't see this in the doctored wannabe Zapruder film, but you can see it in the actual film.

montrealer58 montrealer58's picture

Comments sections on the Internet are the electronic equivalent of feces. Rabble is not like this, as there is some moderator control. If you read the comments sections, trolls may upset you. Time to move on...

Basement Dweller

Aristotleded24 wrote:

The total thumbs-up and thumbs-down votes are around 10,000. That's a lot larger sample size than pollsters use.

I imagine it could be biased towards younger people (given you have to sign up to vote, which is more likely among a younger demographic.) But this gives a pretty good ballpark estimate of how Canadians are aligning on this incident.

It could also be a self-selecting group, for example people already predisposed to accept the Liberal spin and receiving confirmation, or people who actively chosed to seek out information and perspectives on this topic. You can also find MRA videos attacking feminism that have just as many views and as high a percentage of people who like. It does not necessarily reflect public sentiment, just the sentiment of the people who cared enough to watch it.

A lot of those thumbs were probably Americans, as this story did get the attention of political types (not the masses) down in the US. Maybe even a few Brits, as The Guardian covered it. I got a kick out of the video, but at the same time it was sad how so many believed it.

Misfit

At work, I asked a 25 year old woman what she thought? She said that she thinks nothing happened, but she admitted that she haden't watched the news nor seen the video. I wonder how many others out there form such strong opinions on absolutely nothing? How much of it is peer pressure to fit in?

Basement Dweller

http://www.news1130.com/2016/05/23/elbowgate-impression-justin-trudeau/

• Among uncommitted but accessible Liberal voters, 78 per cent said it had no impact on their views of Mr. Trudeau, 17 per cent said it made them feel worse, 6 per cent better.

For the entire sample:

• The broad majority of those surveyed (71 per cent) said it had no impact on their view of Mr. Trudeau, 23 per cent said it made them feel worse about him; 6 per cent better.

Brian Glennie

One of the reasons Jack resonated with voters in 2011 was his sincere promise of a better Parliament. He recognized that petty dramas like the shit show we saw in the House of Commons last week served only to alienate the people we need to reach and represent.

Instead of inciting or exacerbating dysfunction, let's get back to his vision of a government that people can believe in and relate to.

quizzical

people don't even understand how parliament works.

as misfit said they form opinions based on nothing and think their valid.

i'm using this episode to teach my friends what little i know. it's better than knowing nothing.

 

Debater
Basement Dweller

Keep in mind that, on balance, this is negative for Justin. He is going to have to keep his hands to himself, in public, from now on.

Debater

I agree.

Justin should have remembered his father's famous maxim, "Reason before passion".

He let his passions get ahead of him on this occasion.

But the over the top response by the NDP may have helped Justin.

quizzical

there was no "over the top reation by the NDP" there was an over the top reaction by Liberal supporters attacking REB.

 way to try to minimize your violent dear leader debater

Unionist

Ruth Ellen Brosseau has shown a lot of leadership capability by refusing to discuss this whole matter with the media - so far.

Let's hope she carries on in the same vein. I've got a lot of time for her. I'm partial to working-class types.

She knows, clearly, that the NDP has got to get back to its agenda.

 

 

bekayne

jjuares wrote:
Crystal221 wrote:

 

I think a lot of the backlash Brosseau is facing is because of some of the press and her fellow politicians.

WOW! What a reprhensible sentence. Brosseau is receiving all these vile comments because of Nikki Ashton?

Crystal221 never said that. Politicians, as in plural, including Conservatives. Who compared Trudeau to Jian Ghomeshi, or a drunk driver who kills people, or an abusive husband.

bekayne

Aristotleded24 wrote:

quizzical wrote:
no one else has a reason to spew hate other than the Liberals.

Yeah, even as vile as the Conservatives have been towards women and their anti-women policies while they were in government, I've noticed that none of them have gone after Brosseau either.

Why would they? It's not in their self interest. And such well known feminists as Ezra Levant and Brian Lilley have taken the same position.

bekayne

And of course the ones that are most upset are hardcore Conservative Trudeau haters.

Pages