Megan Leslie Contender

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
thorin_bane
Megan Leslie Contender

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Politics/Power+%26+Politics/ID/2632297026/

Really liked her delivery on this topic during P&P. This is the type of candidate the NDP needs as the face of the party. Just wanted to give her props for a good showing on TV..for what its worth. Also as a side benefit maybe we can get away from the sniping from certain sectors in babble. AT least for this thread.

Adam T

She's already one of the three deputy leaders.

Aristotleded24

Megan Leslie will make a fine Prime Minister in 2023 after 2-term Prime Minister Thomas Mulcair decides to retire!

scott16

Aristotleded24 wrote:

Megan Leslie will make a fine Prime Minister in 2023 after 2-term Prime Minister Thomas Mulcair decides to retire!

I agree but she will have to fight Nathan Cullen for the PM's Chair.

terrytowel

Pat Martin is better than Megan Leslie. He has my vote.

Rokossovsky

That would be the NDP equivalent of making Rob Ford leader of the Conservative Party.

Aristotleded24

Rokossovsky wrote:
That would be the NDP equivalent of making Rob Ford leader of the Conservative Party.

Or Doug Ford!Tongue out

nicky

You must understand that TerryT always wants what is worst for the NDP.

He pretends that he is a friend but is endlessly promoting strategic voting and the Liberals.

He should not fool anyone. He is as transparent as Debater even though he doesn't openly acknowlege his partisan orientation.

Oh, and make sure you don't attach a certain very accurate label to him or he will whine to the moderators

terrytowel

DP

terrytowel

Pat Martin, I think he is great. Salt of the earth, tells it like it is. Isn't afraid to speak his mind and be non-political.

I've always been a big Pat Martin fan. We need more politicians like him. Not worried about speaking their minds.

First you guys say some politicans are phonies, with no substance and superficial.

But with Pat Martin, you think being real, having candor and not afraid to speak their mind. And that would be the worst for the NDP?

If you guys feel that way, why not a movement to oust him from the nomination for Winnipeg Center?

That way you can get rid of him for good. Are you going to start a petition Nicky to get rid of him?

So why do you guys not like Pat Martin?

After all Nicky says Pat Martin is the WORST (nicky word) for the NDP.

Brachina

 I like Pat Martin, but he doesn't have to secret sauce to be leader, he's meant to be a maverick.

Debater

Pat Martin doesn't speak French, either.  Another reason he can't be NDP leader.

That's one of the main reasons Ralph Goodale has never run for Liberal leader.  Even though he has enormous experience (former Finance Minister, etc.) and is one of the few Liberals able to get elected on the Prairies, his unilingual status has meant he can only be a Deputy Leader.

As for Megan Leslie, while I give her the edge in 2015, she can't take anything for granted.  The Trudeau Liberals are well ahead in Nova Scotia right now (so much so that even Bill Casey wants to run for them) so Leslie will have a closer race in Halifax next year.  David Akin says she may be in trouble.  I wouldn't go that far, but it's not going to be as easy an election for her as 2011 was.

terrytowel

Debater wrote:

Pat Martin doesn't speak French, either.  Another reason he can't be NDP leader.

The Honorable John Crosbie once said "I don't speak Mandarin Chinese either"

thorin_bane

Debater wrote:

Pat Martin doesn't speak French, either.  Another reason he can't be NDP leader.

That's one of the main reasons Ralph Goodale has never run for Liberal leader.  Even though he has enormous experience (former Finance Minister, etc.) and is one of the few Liberals able to get elected on the Prairies, his unilingual status has meant he can only be a Deputy Leader.

As for Megan Leslie, while I give her the edge in 2015, she can't take anything for granted.  The Trudeau Liberals are well ahead in Nova Scotia right now (so much so that even Bill Casey wants to run for them) so Leslie will have a closer race in Halifax next year.  David Akin says she may be in trouble.  I wouldn't go that far, but it's not going to be as easy an election for her as 2011 was.

I would wager you are wrong on this one. As one of the strongest NDP candidates and getting TV time, she will likely get over 50% of the popular vote in her riding. Brian Masse got over 60% in the once liberal stonghold of Herb Grey, because personality matters.

When I think of Pat martin it makes me miss Peter Kormos.

Debater

If Leslie only got 50% of the vote in 2011 when the Liberals were tanking under Ignatieff, I don't see why she would get that percentage again with the Trudeau Liberals being much higher in support in that region. (Plus the collapse of the provincial NDP government since the last federal election).

terrytowel

thorin_bane wrote:

When I think of Pat martin it makes me miss Peter Kormos.

Exactly. It is SHOCKING some Dippers, like Nicky, want to get RID such a great MP like Pat Martin.

I think Nicky is more comfortable with the establishment NDPers, & not working class folks like Pat Martin.

terrytowel

Debater wrote:

If Leslie only got 50% of the vote in 2011 when the Liberals were tanking under Ignatieff, I don't see why she would get that percentage again with the Trudeau Liberals being much higher in support in that region. (Plus the collapse of the provincial NDP government since the last federal election).

Two years ago I said Megan Leslie was going to be in a tough fight to hang on to Halifax. But everyone here poo-pooed that saying she ain't going anywhere.

Polls are saying a different story.

Like it or not, Peter Stoffer is the only Dipper to be safe in NS.

thorin_bane

terrytowel wrote:

Debater wrote:

If Leslie only got 50% of the vote in 2011 when the Liberals were tanking under Ignatieff, I don't see why she would get that percentage again with the Trudeau Liberals being much higher in support in that region. (Plus the collapse of the provincial NDP government since the last federal election).

Two years ago I said Megan Leslie was going to be in a tough fight to hang on to Halifax. But everyone here poo-pooed that saying she ain't going anywhere.

Polls are saying a different story.

Like it or not, Peter Stoffer is the only Dipper to be safe in NS.

LOL the liberal gang writing the demise of the poor NDP again. There is a term for what you guys do: "Concern trolling"

terrytowel

You don't believe in polls?

Debater

I'm not predicting the demise of the NDP - all I said was the Federal Liberals are looking good in Nova Scotia right now, something backed up by actual polling numbers.  And I'm not predicting Megan Leslie will be defeated - I just said her margin is likely to go down and that she won't be as safe as last time.  David Akin is saying the same thing.

thorin_bane

Debater wrote:

I'm not predicting the demise of the NDP - all I said was the Federal Liberals are looking good in Nova Scotia right now, something backed up by actual polling numbers.  And I'm not predicting Megan Leslie will be defeated - I just said her margin is likely to go down and that she won't be as safe as last time.  David Akin is saying the same thing.

NO? If Leslie only got 50% of the vote in 2011 when the Liberals were tanking under Ignatieff, I don't see why she would get that percentage again with the Trudeau Liberals being much higher in support in that region. (Plus the collapse of the provincial NDP government since the last federal election)

 

So if she is getting below 50% because the libs are so awesome and the prov NDP are so shit, then what do you suppose 40%, 35% and lose to the libs. If she has hardly any margin for error as you have stated then you are saying she will lose because of your subsequent conjecture that the liberals are polling super duper high and the NDP are super duper low because of the provincial NDP ..so which is it, she will be at 40% in the poll and hold off the red crush, or she has shown her worth as an MP and probably retain a fairly healthy margin? Just so I understand your concern for Leslie.

PrairieDemocrat15

Debater wrote:

If Leslie only got 50% of the vote in 2011 when the Liberals were tanking under Ignatieff, I don't see why she would get that percentage again with the Trudeau Liberals being much higher in support in that region. (Plus the collapse of the provincial NDP government since the last federal election).

Means nothing. Sometimes unpopular provinical governments have an effect on federal politics, sometimes they don't.

Besides, voters already got their anger at the prov. NDP out in 2013.

Hunky_Monkey

Liberals nominated Andy Fillmore.  Leslie should be quite safe in Halifax.

Rokossovsky

And who says the NDP and the Liberals don't "co-operate"? They make strategic decisions to abandon ridings to paper candidates all the time in order to dedicate resources to contests where they are truly competitive, as opposed to throwing time, energy and money down the drain.

That is what I never understood about the Cullen "co-operation" doctrine. The fact is that the strategic outlook, determines a certain amount of pragmatic realism, that implies a kind of unspoken co-operation in fact, if not in name. It just makes sense not to waste resources.

It's not as if the NDP is going to run hard, and spend money in every single contested constituency.