The federal election, started June 21st, 2015

431 posts / 0 new
Last post
NorthReport
NorthReport

Tiresome

Paul Martin campaigned for 66 days, Harper now 77 days. Apart from primarily the Liberal media complex, nobody cares

 

JKR wrote:

NorthReport wrote:

All this gnashing of teeth about minor non-issues such as length of campaign, the debates, etc., in the scheme of things, emanating primarily from the Liberal medai complex, will not defeat Harper.

Then why did you bring up the issue of the length of the campaign in your post?

NorthReport
JKR

NorthReport wrote:

Tiresome

Paul Martin campaigned for 66 days, Harper now 77 days. Apart from primarily the Liberal media complex, nobody cares

 

JKR wrote:

NorthReport wrote:

All this gnashing of teeth about minor non-issues such as length of campaign, the debates, etc., in the scheme of things, emanating primarily from the Liberal medai complex, will not defeat Harper.

Then why did you bring up the issue of the length of the campaign in your post?

Thanks NR for sometimes giving representation to the Conservative Party's viewpoint here on Babble. It's good to hear the viewpoints from all sides of the political spectrum, even from what you have called the "Conservative media complex."

Misfit

There is a very big difference between being forced into an election on a non-confidence vote and extending the election time to 66 days to account for Christmas holidays vs unnecessarily scheduling a 77 day election which will cost 3/4 of a billion dollars when a 37 day election was sufficient. And yes, this all does matter. It matters a great deal.

socialdemocrati...

Small things are small things, until they add up to make a big difference.

A Trudeau gaffe is just an innocent mistake, until he makes enough mistakes and takes bad policy positions, and then he's "not ready". 

A Harper trick is just power politics, until he does it enough times and passes laws that centralize government power, and then it's "time for change".

You would think that most voters who would be annoyed by Harper's early election trick were already deciding not to vote for him anyway. But there are a lot of people who will stick with the devil they know until they're truly truly fed up, and the one straw can sometimes break the camel's back.

NorthReport

NDP is focusing focus on the big issues like jobs, economy, climate change, etc., and will not be distracted by all the noise from both the Liberal and Conservative media complexes.

NorthReport

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Who else is tired of Kady O'Malley's  blatant shilling for the Liberal media complex

Norman Spector ‏@nspector4  3h3 hours ago

Norman Spector retweeted kady o'malley

Cancel any outrage!

Norman Spector added,

kady o'malley @kadySolved! @glen_mcgregor Now sure this sent out pre-writ drop so doesn't break rules. No idea why PPG sent w/today date

 

takeitslowly

small things can become big things, Mulcair already has two strikes against him in the past few days, the optic of not attending debates unless Harper is there, and not taking any questions from journalists. We are supposed to be okay with that? No, we need to know why the NDP did this to those who support them.

maybe its a communication problem, but the NDP has a responsibility to provides better communication and predict what kind of optic they are creating with their actions.

 

NorthReport

The only advantage to the Conservatives is monetary

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/don-martin-blog/don-martin-blog-the-only-...

 

NorthReport

Right that has hurt Harper over the last 10 years hsn't it?  Wink

takeitslowly wrote:

small things can become big things, Mulcair already has two strikes against him in the past few days, the optic of not attending debates unless Harper is there, and not taking any questions from journalists. We are supposed to be okay with that? No, we need to know why the NDP did this to those who support them.

maybe its a communication problem, but the NDP has a responsibility to provides better communication and predict what kind of optic they are creating with their actions.

 

jerrym

NorthReport wrote:

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Who else is tired of Kady O'Malley's  blatant shilling for the Liberal media complex

Norman Spector ‏@nspector4  3h3 hours ago

Norman Spector retweeted kady o'malley

Cancel any outrage!

Norman Spector added,

kady o'malley @kadySolved! @glen_mcgregor Now sure this sent out pre-writ drop so doesn't break rules. No idea why PPG sent w/today date

 

 

I suspect this Ambrose tweet is aimed at both solidifying support in the Con base and hopefully pushing legalized marijuana supporters towards Trudeau in order to boost Liberal support at the expense of the poll leading NDP. The Cons' strategy has reversed in order to pull down the NDP and help raise the Liberals to try to have the two opposition parties as close as possible in the vote, so that they can squeak through to victory. 

terrytowel

Mulcair has no campaign event scheduled from today until Friday. So he can prepare for the debates. The NDP has also said that they will not be using a Campaign plane until after Labor Day,

Brachina

takeitslowly wrote:

small things can become big things, Mulcair already has two strikes against him in the past few days, the optic of not attending debates unless Harper is there, and not taking any questions from journalists. We are supposed to be okay with that? No, we need to know why the NDP did this to those who support them.

maybe its a communication problem, but the NDP has a responsibility to provides better communication and predict what kind of optic they are creating with their actions.

 

 Ordinary people would have to give a shit for it to count as a strike.

Misfit

TIS, it was mentioned on the At Issue panel last night that Tom Mulcair could not stick around to take questions because he was in a hurry to attend Flora MacDonald's funeral. I thought it was odd and concerning as well until I heard the reason why. If this is the case that it was the funeral, then I would expect Mulcair to answer questions to reporters when he resumes campaigning after the debate. Harper announced last week that he was not attending the funeral and Justin was in Vancouver. It was a situation and time issue that was unique to Mulcair.

NorthReport

Another one for the NDP to add to its Harper Cons 'Hall of Shame' list

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/former-conservative-staffer-ord...

JKR

NorthReport wrote:

Did Martin ask the GG for a 66 day election or not?

Answer: Yes he did. So what if it was Christmas.

We are in the summer holiday period now, and it is 77 days, or 11 days longer.

Nothing to see there.

 

The 2006 election lasted 55 days. The 2006 election was held on January 23rd. The Governor General issued the writs for the election on November 29, 2005, the day after the Martin government lost a vote of non-confidence.

Election 2006 - Wikipedia

Quote:

This unusual winter general election was caused by a motion of no confidence passed by the House of Commons on November 28, 2005, with Canada's three opposition parties contending that the governing Liberal government of Prime Minister Paul Martin was corrupt.[2] The following morning Martin met with Governor General Michaëlle Jean, who then dissolved parliament,[3] summoned the next parliament,[4] and ordered the issuance of writs of election.[5] The last set January 23, 2006, as election day and February 13 as the date for return of the writs. The campaign was almost eight weeks in length, the longest in two decades, in order to allow time for the Christmas and New Year holidays.

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

JKR wrote:
NorthReport wrote:

Did Martin ask the GG for a 66 day election or not?

Answer: Yes he did. So what if it was Christmas.

We are in the summer holiday period now, and it is 77 days, or 11 days longer.

Nothing to see there.

 

 

The 2006 election lasted 55 days. The 2006 election was held on January 23rd. The Governor General issued the writs for the election on November 29, 2005, the day after the Martin government lost a vote of non-confidence.

Election 2006 - Wikipedia

Quote:
This unusual winter general election was caused by a motion of no confidence passed by the House of Commons on November 28, 2005, with Canada's three opposition parties contending that the governing Liberal government of Prime Minister Paul Martin was corrupt.[2] The following morning Martin met with Governor General Michaëlle Jean, who then dissolved parliament,[3] summoned the next parliament,[4] and ordered the issuance of writs of election.[5] The last set January 23, 2006, as election day and February 13 as the date for return of the writs. The campaign was almost eight weeks in length, the longest in two decades, in order to allow time for the Christmas and New Year holidays.

If this is the level of conversatin we an expect between now and E-Day, heaven help us. Suffice it to say, Libs and New Democrats on this board, to say the least, "dislike, each other.

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

I have noticed that the use of the smear by the "candidate of change", appears to mean, we can say whatever we want about Tom Mulcair becuse he's an angry blowhard with dual citizenship who is simply another Harper. Well, good luck with that.

Brachina

"BrokenOntario: Con bots demystified... 
"The Canadian government has been caught paying a media group to monitor online political discussion and respond to “misinformation,” in order words to spread state-sanctioned propaganda, in the latest scandal to hit the Harper administration. 
“Under the pilot program the Harper government paid a media company $75,000 to monitor and respond to online postings about the east coast seal hunt,” reports News1130."

 

 I read this in the comment section of David Olive, the business columnist at the Star, which is worth reading and which I would have linked, except rabbled don't allow copy pasting links, I have no idea why, it aggravaiting.

 So any way, if you see Tory trolls who seemed to make the same evidence free bs attacks, or seem on a set script, you know who your probably dealing with. If your dealing with someone who actually meaningfully converse with you, like rabble's LB Cultured (I hope I got that right), you're dealing with a normal, if Tory human being.

JKR

Arthur Cramer wrote:

JKR wrote:
NorthReport wrote:

Did Martin ask the GG for a 66 day election or not?

Answer: Yes he did. So what if it was Christmas.

We are in the summer holiday period now, and it is 77 days, or 11 days longer.

Nothing to see there.

 

 

The 2006 election lasted 55 days. The 2006 election was held on January 23rd. The Governor General issued the writs for the election on November 29, 2005, the day after the Martin government lost a vote of non-confidence.

Election 2006 - Wikipedia

Quote:
This unusual winter general election was caused by a motion of no confidence passed by the House of Commons on November 28, 2005, with Canada's three opposition parties contending that the governing Liberal government of Prime Minister Paul Martin was corrupt.[2] The following morning Martin met with Governor General Michaëlle Jean, who then dissolved parliament,[3] summoned the next parliament,[4] and ordered the issuance of writs of election.[5] The last set January 23, 2006, as election day and February 13 as the date for return of the writs. The campaign was almost eight weeks in length, the longest in two decades, in order to allow time for the Christmas and New Year holidays.

If this is the level of conversatin we an expect between now and E-Day, heaven help us. Suffice it to say, Libs and New Democrats on this board, to say the least, "dislike, each other.

I'm a member of the NDP and I make an ongoing monthly donation to the party. I also like all members of this board, be they NDP, Liberal, Green, BQ, Conservative, etc... and non-affiliated.

Pondering

The biggest difference about the long campaign this time is that the amount of money they can spend increases for every day over 5 weeks.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/two-thirds-of-canadians-vot...

Only 40 per cent of Canadians have picked a party and say that’s the only one they’ll consider. Most voters, three-fifths of the electorate, are still considering voting for two or more parties, or aren’t sure who they might pick, according to Nanos Research data from rolling surveys that provide an insight into potential swing votes. In fact, 20 per cent of those surveyed would still consider voting for any one of three or more parties....

In fact, even when asked to list a second choice, 31.5 per cent of Conservative voters say they have none – more than the backers of any other party.....

Only 12 per cent of NDP supporters list the Conservatives as their second choice, while 40.6 per cent see the Liberals as the best alternative – so if voters leave Mr. Mulcair, the lion’s share can be expected to turn to Mr. Trudeau.

When the Liberals fall, however, the Conservatives can expect to do somewhat better, because 29.2 per cent of Liberal supporters rate the Tories second.....

 

40% decided

20% are open to all 3 parties

40% are deciding between 2 parties.

30% of Conservative voters have no second choice. If we say their support is 30% that means only 10% are dedicated supporters.

12% of NDP members have the Conservatives as their second choice.

40% of NDP members have the Liberals as their second choice.

29% of Liberals list the Conservatives as their second choice.

This election is still wide open. 60% are undecided. That means the poll numbers are more indicative of which way voters are leaning for the moment rather than how people are actually intending to vote.

The campaign is going to matter a lot.

josh

Doesn't say what percentage of Liberals have the NDP as their second choice.

nicky

Interesting story from Gaspesie. 8 of 10 Liberal executive members are photographed cutting up their membership cards in protest over Justin's interference in nomination process. They have endorsed NDP incumbent .

socialdemocrati...

Gaspesie will be a close race between the NDP and the Bloc. The NDP had almost no business winning it in 2011. If Liberals unify behind the NDP, they have a shot at keeping it orange.

jerrym

Mulcair hit a home run when answering reporters' questions in Mount Royal today. 

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Sean in Ottawa wrote:

NorthReport wrote:

Unfortunately that's how you win elections by staying on script.  Frown

Do you see any sliver of shame from the CPC -- no matter how clearly dirty they became?

The attacks on the democratic process from Harper is compeletely unprecedented in Canadian history. And their MPs are fine with it.

Word.

Pierre C yr

jerrym wrote:

Mulcair hit a home run when answering reporters' questions in Mount Royal today. 

 

What was that homerun?

Arthur Cramer Arthur Cramer's picture

Um Yeah, why would anyone ever think of referrring to him this way?

He branded himself this way as show on twitter here, https://twitter.com/SuzakiTheAmazon/status/628593378825875456 

Maybe his problem is that he's too smart by half. Seriously, all you whining LPC shills, stop complaing and act like grown up aults just this one time.

 

 

 

 

MegB

Continued here.

Pages

Topic locked