2016 Presidential election campaign

1210 posts / 0 new
Last post
alan smithee alan smithee's picture

Bernie Sanders is the best candidate. Too bad he's an Independant. Only the 2 gangs are eligible for debates.

NorthReport

Why bother even having a 2016 election because if you listen to Hillary's spin doctors it's a wrap! Laughing

wage zombie

If Bernie Sanders runs as an independent he will get lots of press and lots of exposure even though he will not be allowed in debates.  I think the biggest thing he can provide is an alternate voice to the status quo.  He might be able to have some influence on the narrative during the election but I don't know how much effect that would have on the policies of the eventual winner.

I don't see what the endgame to his candidacy would be.  Perhaps the Democratic candidate will be so far ahead that there won't be much chance of Sanders being a spoiler.  That's possible and would be ideal.

I think I remember reading that Nader was willing to pull out of the race in 2004 if Kerry would make specific commitments (not sure though).  Perhaps this kind of thing could happen, but I can't imagine what commitments Clinton could make that would be sufficient enough for this.

IMO Sanders would actually have a chance to win some states--however I think in order to do that he'd have to commit to running asap and get a lot of support very quickly.  But it doesn't seem like that's his game plan.

Michael Moriarity Michael Moriarity's picture

In my opinion, Senator Sanders has no chance of becoming President. If he wants to make a contribution to the discussion between now and election day, I think his best move would be to run as a Democrat against Hillary. That way he gets to be on the same stage with Mrs. Clinton multiple times during the primary debates, and he gets to force her to address his very sensible (and often popular in polls) positions on wealth and income inequality, corporate power, and other progressive issues. If he runs as a 3rd party candidate, he will get much less attention from the msm, and even risks helping to elect a crazy-ass Republican, as Nader sadly did.

takeitslowly

Nah, Nadar didn't spoil the election. The Supreme Court did.

abnormal

NDPP wrote:

A Frightful Prospect: Hillary vs Jeb 

Could be worse.  Ted Cruz has just announced his candidacy.  Not that I expect him to make it to the final ticket but he's a total lunatic.

 

Geoff

Won't Ted Cruz be turfed by "Tea Party" Republicans, because he wasn't born in the US?Wink

montrealer58 montrealer58's picture

Donald Trump has started birthing Cruz. "You weren't born here!"

bekayne

montrealer58 wrote:

Donald Trump has started birthing Cruz. "You weren't born here!"

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/23/donald_trump_is_a_ted_cruz_birther_youre...

bekayne

abnormal wrote:

Could be worse.  Ted Cruz has just announced his candidacy.  Not that I expect him to make it to the final ticket but he's a total lunatic.

“You know, music is interesting. I grew up listening to classic rock, and I’ll tell you sort of an odd story. My music tastes changed on 9/11,” Cruz said.

The senator continued: “And it’s a very strange — I actually intellectually find this very curious. But on 9/11, I didn’t like how rock music responded. And country music collectively, the way they responded, it resonated with me. And I have to say, it just as a gut level — I had an emotional reaction that says, ‘These are my people.’ And so ever since 2001, I listen to country music.”

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/24/ted_cruz_i_stopped_liking_rock_music_aft...

 

Michael Moriarity Michael Moriarity's picture

takeitslowly wrote:

Nah, Nadar didn't spoil the election. The Supreme Court did.

Yes, you are right of course. But, if Nader's name hadn't been on the ballot in Florida, the Supremes wouldn't have even had a chance to steal the election, because the result would have been clear cut.

takeitslowly

I am not sure what you mean, are you suggesting that americans shouldnt have any choice but to vote for a democrat or a republican?

NorthReport

Clinton said no way you are getting my server and by-the-way I wiped my server clean and deleted all my emails.  Ha! Ha!

NorthReport

Clinton said no way you are getting my server and by-the-way I wiped my server clean and deleted all my emails.  Ha! Ha!

Michael Moriarity Michael Moriarity's picture

takeitslowly wrote:

I am not sure what you mean, are you suggesting that americans shouldnt have any choice but to vote for a democrat or a republican?

No, I didn't mean that. In fact, I remember the 2000 election very well, and if I had been a U.S. citizen, I would certainly have voted for Nader. However, his campaign did also have the effect of giving W the chance to steal the election. I would rather that Bernie Sanders not do the same favour for Scott Walker or Ted Cruz. However, my main reason for thinking that he should run in the Dem primaries is that this would give his progam a much bigger audience than running as an independent would.

NorthReport

Quite the contrast between Hillary and Obama's approach to dealing with the GOP. I'll take Hillary's approach any day.  

NorthReport

The Hillary Clinton Steamroller Rumbles To Life

Let’s do something a little unusual. Instead of going through all the reasons that Hillary Clinton is so likely to win the Democratic nomination (and she is) and then tucking a caveat-laden paragraph at the bottom of this article, let’s start with one big caveat:

Presidential elections aren’t baseball. They take place just once every four years, so we don’t have thousands of at-bats to analyze. Clinton, who will reportedly officially announce her campaign Sunday, could lose the primary. Perhaps there’s some scandal we’re unaware of. Perhaps she’ll have to drop out because of some health issue. Maybe Martin O’Malley will straight-up beat her; stranger things have … well, OK, maybe not.

Clinton’s primary campaign is by far the most dominant for a non-incumbent president since nominations began to be determined by caucuses and primaries in 1972. The best predictors we have all say Clinton is going to be the Democrats’ 2016 presidential nominee.1

 

NorthReport
montrealer58 montrealer58's picture

The American demographic is considerably different than the mom + pop + 2.4 kids suburban lifestyle. The Democrats are better at adapting than the Republicans.

I think the only way the GOP can win this one is to steal it.

NorthReport
josh

I disagree. It's not a toss up because of the Democrats electoral college advantage. States making up 242 electoral votes have gone Democratic in the last 6 presidential elections. Only 28 short of victory. So they start off with an advantage.

ikosmos ikosmos's picture

NDPP

Hillary Clinton: International Neocon Warmonger

http://www.voltairenet.org/article187315.html

"In all circumstances she supported war and corporate interests.'

josh

josh

Bernie Sanders to run in the Democratic primary

http://digital.vpr.net/post/bernie-sanders-announce-presidential-run

ygtbk

Ready For Hillary? Maybe Sanders, O'Malley, and Warren have a chance after all...

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/clinton-foundation-bill-hillary-chelsea-117505.html

josh
NorthReport

What an absolute shame that Warren is not running.  She is the kind of candidate that could excite people and who would address inequality, which is of course the biggest problem facing mankind.

Why Elizabeth Warren Makes Bankers So Uneasy, and So Quiet

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-05/why-elizabeth-warren-m...

NorthReport

Has Jeb Bush blow his chances to be president?

Another Bush damaged by Iraq

http://www.straight.com/news/451911/gwynne-dyer-another-bush-damaged-iraq

NorthReport

The Bush dynasty is crushing Jeb: How the GOP identity crisis is ruining this frontrunner’s chancesIt turns out that sharing the same last name with W. isn't very good for business

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/15/the_bush_dynasty_is_sinking_jeb_how_the_...

NorthReport

Rubio’s Iraq incoherence: Everyone’s focused on Jeb, but Rubio is making zero senseRubio wouldn't have invaded Iraq but also would have invaded Iraq, and did he just promise to attack Iran?

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/15/rubios_iraq_incoherence_everyones_focuse...

NorthReport

Jeb Bush’s glorious downfall gets the Jon Stewart treatmentJeb Bush has had a terrible, terrible week. The "Daily Show" host unpacks what went wrong 

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/15/jeb_bushs_glorious_downfall_gets_the_jon...

NorthReport

Where's Mitt Romney when you need him? Laughing

Rachel Maddow questions whether Jeb Bush is even competent enough to run his campaign"Bush doesn't seem to be able to handle even that totally predictable, basic qualifying question for his candidacy" 

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/15/rachel_maddow_questions_whether_jeb_bush...

NorthReport

GOP’s alarming Iraq amnesia: Jeb Bush, WMDs & the lies neocons want us to forgetBush can’t say the invasion was a mistake, even knowing what we do now, because WMDs weren’t the reason behind it

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/15/gops_alarming_iraq_amnesia_jeb_bush_wmds...

NorthReport

Paul Krugman: Jeb Bush’s “vile cowardice” on Iraq typical of GOP’s “fraternity of failure”Admittance is easy -- have a long history of getting everything wrong and refusing to admit it

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/15/paul_krugman_jeb_bushs_vile_cowardice_on...

josh

Where's Mitt Romney when you need him? Laughing

Fighting Evander Holyfield

alan smithee alan smithee's picture

I love this man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4DsRfmj5aQ

This is the narrative I'd like the NDP to campaign with.It has no chance of resonating in 'Murica but I think it would be up here.

Sanders' blunt frankness and explicit explanation of what Citizens United means should terrify anyone with a sane and reasonable mind.I think there are more of these types of people up here in Canuckistan.

 

josh

There are just as many in the U.S. The problem is that there are a lot more on the other side, chiefly due to the south.

NorthReport

GOP lawmakers flabbergasted by Bush stumbles on Iraq

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/242256-gop-lawmakers-flabbergasted-by-...

NorthReport
NorthReport
NorthReport

+

abnormal

NorthReport wrote:

Republicans’ Josh Duggar problem

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/05/22/republicans-jo...

Don't know if there is another thread on Josh's "problems" but it seems that four of the girls he molested were his sisters.  It's not hard to check on their birthdates and, if you do, you'll see that the youngest was no more than 12 at the time.  If it wasn't the four oldest that he molested the next one would have been 6.

Edited to correct ages - I missed one of the sisters when I went down the list of children.

iyraste1313

 you can´t but help notice the attempt to shut down the Patriot Act by presidential candidate Rand Paul, (now legally suspended), with his intention to make this a key platform in his campaign...you´ve got to wonder whatever happened to the so called antifascist left in the USA.

montrealer58 montrealer58's picture

On both sides of the 49th it looks like the lunatic fringe of the right wing is coming to its logical conclusion.

NorthReport

It's great we may possible have a woman president in 2016. Too bad it is asking too much to have a progressive one.

7 ways Bernie Sanders could transform America

He may not capture the Democratic nomination, but the Vermont senator still has a chance to reshape the party

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/23/7_ways_bernie_sanders_could_transform_am...

NorthReport

US Senator Warren calls for hearings into bank waivers

US Senator Elizabeth Warren and other lawmakers are calling for public hearings on whether banks accused of rigging foreign exchange markets should be allowed to manage retirement accounts.

The call for US Department of Labor hearings heightens pressure on government agencies to inflict more pain on the banks, after six of them agreed on Wednesday to pay $5.6bn to resolve allegations they manipulated currency markets. Four of the banks pleaded guilty to felony charges related to those claims.

 


http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/45203484-00be-11e5-a8e0-00144feabdc0.html#axzz...

NorthReport

Where is Canada's Bernie Sanders?

Bernie Sanders is the 1 percent’s worst nightmare: How he promises to upend America’s oligarchy

2016's socialist candidate wants to use the tax code to transfer wealth downward. Are you terrified yet?

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/27/bernie_sanders_is_the_1_percents_worst_n...

 

NorthReport
NorthReport

Pages

Topic locked