Boston Marathon hit by explosions

314 posts / 0 new
Last post
NorthReport

I first saw reports of this story in the New York Post and wondered how accurate is it, but apparently it's true that Obama received a dangerous letter

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/21996108/2nd-suspicious-letter-addressed-to...

NorthReport

In the last few decades, the majority of acts of terrorism and mass murder in the U.S. have been from domestic sources. The Oklahoma City bombing of 1995, one of the most well-publicized acts of terrorism besides 9/11, was orchestrated by two white U.S. citizens as a form of government protest. All of the recent, highly publicized school shootings have also been domestic in nature and predominately by white males. The overwhelming majority of acts of terrorism on U.S. soil have been from domestic sources with reasons ranging from religion to animal rights.

 

http://www.kaleo.org/opinion/boston-marathon-changing-assumptions-mainta...

josh

Thank God we have a Texas Republican to track down the evildoers:

Quote:

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX), one of the most conservative members of the House, said on Wednesday that Islamic terrorists were training members to pretend to be Latino in order to infiltrate the United States. 

"We know Al Qaeda has camps over with the drug cartels on the other side of the Mexican border," he said in an appearance on C-SPAN, according to the Huffington Post. "We know that people that are now being trained to come in and act like Hispanic [sic] when they are radical Islamists. We know these things are happening.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/louie-gohmert-islamic-terrorists-training-to-act-like

 

Slumberjack

How does one 'act' Hispanic?

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture
6079_Smith_W

Slumberjack wrote:

How does one 'act' Hispanic?

Oh, you beat me to it, k.

I guess their prime suspect is Charleton Heston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhsjc607oYY

Fidel

Obama proclaims Boston Bombings an “Act of Terror”. No Suspects identified

Quote:

There is undoubtedly a political struggle within the US government and its intelligence apparatus over how to make use of the events in Boston to advance US security policies at home and militarist policies abroad.

 

There was an immediate campaign to place the events within the narrative of the “war on terror,” which has been used to legitimize unending militarism abroad and the dismantling of democratic rights within the United States. Media coverage has sought to connect the events with the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

 

The aim is once again to utilize the tragic events to justify the massive buildup of the government’s military, security and intelligence apparatus. The immediate response to the attacks has been a security clampdown not only in Boston, but nationwide, to condition the public for another expansion of the militarization of American society.

We can only hope it wasn't another "intelligence failure" by the most well-funded and most technically advanced domestic spying agencies ever conceived.

Meanwhile the bombing and drone attacks in other countries continue at a frenzied pace.

 

Caissa

Investigators are preparing to arrest a suspect in relation to Monday's Boston marathon bombings, officials have told US media.

The breakthrough reportedly came from security video of a man dropping off a bag on the street near the race's finish line, before walking away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22190353

Mr.Tea

All the news outlets seem to be confirming that a suspect has been arrested. Huge crowd outside the Boston courthouse where he is being taken for processing

Caissa

Some sources now reporting that an arrest may not have yet taken place.

Mr.Tea

CNN has now retracted their report of an arrest.

NorthReport

If they fuck up reporting on this most basic of events, imagine how these so-called news outlets treat other topics. Strictly propaganda machines for the rich and powerful, the one per centers, it seems.  Frown

 

FBI Criticizes False Reports of a Bombing Arrest

 

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/business/media/fbi-criticizes-false-re...

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

American news especially CNN would be laughable if it wasn't so dangerous to the lives of "dark skinned" people everywhere.

Quote:

CNN broke news of an arrest at 1:45 p.m., with the correspondent John King citing law enforcement sources. About a half-hour earlier, Mr. King had reported what he called a “breakthrough in the identification of a suspect” and included details of a physical description.

“I was told by one of these sources, who is a law enforcement official, that this was a dark-skinned male,” Mr. King said. “The official used some other words. I am not going to repeat them until we get more information because of the sensitivities.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/business/media/fbi-criticizes-false-re...

 

NorthReport

Hey Reddit, Enough Boston Bombing Vigilantism

It's only the illusion that what we do online is not as significant as what we do offline that allows this to go on.

 

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/04/hey-reddit-enough-...

NorthReport

US Muslims 'holding their breath' as Boston investigators hunt for bomber

Muslim American organisations say they fear increased racial profiling if an Islamic link to the marathon attack is established

Boston investigatorsActivists said that based on FBI data, Muslims are three times more likely to be targeted by hate crimes than other citizens. Photograph: Jared Wickerham/Getty

US Muslims are "holding their breath" as the investigation into the Boston Marathon attacks develops, amid fears of increased racial profiling and attacks if an Islamic link is confirmed, according to advocate groups.

Investigators say they still do not know who carried out the attacks or why, and Janet Napolitano, the homeland security secretary, said on Wednesday there was no evidence the attacks were part of a larger plot.

But amid official statements that no suspect has yet been identified as being behind the bombs that killed three and maimed and wounded more than a hundred people, at least two news outlets falsely reported a Saudi national was being held as a suspect, with some lawmakers and pundits pitching in on the falsehood.

Muneer Awad, the executive director of New York chapter of the Council on American Islamic Relations (Cair), said: "Americans have been conditioned to assume that any act of terror on our land has been perpetrated by a Muslim. That's why it was so easy for people to jump on to reports that a Saudi national had been a person of interest. There is no reason for why he was a suspect, other than he was a Saudi Arabian.

"Whether they are being questioned, interrogated, having their apartments being searched – we are looking at a community where it's normal for the NYPD or the FBI to simply knock on your door and ask you questions without a warrant."

Awad said that the anxiety that the Muslim community is feeling over a possible backlash is not new, but has been present since 9/11. It is waiting to see what will happen now, he said. "A lot of people are holding their breath."

Boston's largest mosque, the Islamic Society of Boston Cultural Center, has asked police to guard its campus in the wake of the marathon attacks, according to a report in the Huffington Post.

Awad cited Erik Rush, a conservative columnist and Fox News guestwho tweeted "Muslims are evil. Let's kill them all" after the attacks,provoking a furious reaction on Twitter. Rush later claimed he was being sarcastic.

In the US, the number of FBI-designated hate crimes against Muslims and Arabs rose dramatically after the September 11 attacks, which were carried out by mostly Saudi members of al-Qaida.

Faiza Patel, co-director of the liberty and national security programme at the Brennan Center for Justice, said: "You can't get away from the fact that the last attack was carried out by mostly Saudi nationals. But from what I have seen and heard, the official response this time has been restrained. There were a lot of statements coming in from Muslim communities clearly disavowing the attacks. That is important."

Patel said that, based on FBI data, Muslims are three times more likely to be targeted by hate crimes than other citizens.

Sahar Aziz, a fellow of the Institute for Social Policy and Understanding (ISPU), agreed that the government response has been careful in the aftermath of the Boston attacks.

Aziz, who is also an associate professor of law at Texas Wesleyan school of law, said: "Compared to past events, the government has been judicious in making public what they know and don't know, and warning people not to jump to conclusions about the racial identification of suspects."

However, he warned that the US should guard against falling pray to scape goating of any racial or religious communities from the far right.

"There is a cadre of pundits on the far right spreading fear and paranoia that it is inevitably going to be a Muslim. They will want to trigger a backlash, will engage in racial and religious scapegoating. They won't incite people to violence because they know it is a crime, but they may do everything short of it. All Americans should be on guard not to allow our country to fall pray to that.

"The real question for the Muslim community is what will happen if it does turn out that the suspect is Muslim. What we hope is that Americans can speak to their values that guilt should not be imposed on others who share the same faith."

Christine Warner, the campaign director for Shoulder to Shoulder, a campaign to end anti-Muslim sentiment, said she was monitoring any potential backlash. Warner said she had been "generally encouraged" by the reporting, with the exception of the reporting of a Saudi national as a person of interest and comments reported on Wednesday by CNN of a "dark skinned male" being a suspect in the case.

"This gives us no indication of where the investigation is going and is of concern to us," she said.

In a blogpost on his website, anti-racism writer Tim Wise wrote: "White privilege is knowing that if you are a white student from Nebraska – as opposed to, say, a student from Saudi Arabia – that no one, and I mean no one, would think it important to detain and question you in the wake of a bombing such as the one at the Boston Marathon."

 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/17/us-muslims-fear-profiling-bo...

margot66

The gurus were on about IEDs, claiming this makes all components anonymously obtainable at hardware stores.  According to the experts this meant the explosive was ammonium nitrate, sack after sack of which goes on golf courses and playing fields all the time.  Also used in hydroponic veg growing.  

A small, family sized pressure cooker, crammed with ball bearings and bits of metal, also contained enough ammonium nitrate to do so much harm?  I truly doubt this.  Maybe I don't know some law of physics about a small explosion magnifying in effect if it can break through solid metal containment.  

Perhaps to deal with doubters, perhaps a tragic coincidence, hundreds or thousands of tons of ammonium nitrate just blew at a factory in Texas.  Not exactly a bit in a 5 or 6 qt pressure cooker.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/04/17/fertilizer_plant_explodes_n...

A possible source of non-pelletized ammonium nitrate might be instant cold packs.  I once used a couple of cups of pelletized ammonium nitrate in water in a large coffee tin, to chill a small bottle of champagne very quickly, good fun, radio program about useful and useless CFC refrigeration substitutes.  Ammonia won, of course, among the not in kind solutions we should have gone with.

Family sized pressure cookers in the 1950s made a lot of sense, back when veggies came with old Chinese men a couple of times a week, dark green truck and wicker baskets.  A great way to cook real, fresh veg.  Now that so few people cook up fresh veg, local etc., will anyone with a dreaded pressure cooker be suspect?

NDPP

Israeli Police Head to US to Aid in Boston Marathon Bombing Investigation

http://rt.com/usa/police-israel-investigation-boston-009/

"In an address made Tuesday, Israeli President Shimon Peres said that tragedies such as this week's incident in Boston, sadly, bring people together from across the world. 'Today the real problem is terror and terror is not an extension of policy. Their policy is terror, their policy is to threaten. Terrorists divide people, they kill innocent people.."

and he surely ought to know too...

 

Washington Perfects the Art of Illusion...(and vid)

http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/washington-perfects-the-art-of-illusion-...

"Please save us, Police State!"

Bec.De.Corbin Bec.De.Corbin's picture

IEDs made out of pressure cookers were quit common in Iraq. This is nothing new.

 

The instructions to make them are also avalable on the internet.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

In the meantime this blast happened two days after the Boston tragedy. I am awaiting the reaction of all our political leaders to this tragedy in India.  I would hope that at least one of them would publicly send their deep condolences to the people and families. After all isn't India an ally and Commonwealth friend. Some days it seems that there are two types of humans on this planet, American citizens and everyone else.  We all must mourn the loss of American lives or become suspect.

 

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/Bangalore/Bomb-blast-in-Bangalo...

Kara

margot66 - The tanks that blew in Texas contained anhyrdous ammonia, not ammonium nitrate.  Anhydrous ammonia is very volatile.  All it would take to start an event like that is poor maintenance procedures leading to a failed gasket leaking and then everything follows from there.  The real question has to be who approved building a hazardous facility so close to a residential area - that is nonsensical and was always a disaster waiting to happen.

Paladin1

margot66 wrote:

 

A small, family sized pressure cooker, crammed with ball bearings and bits of metal, also contained enough ammonium nitrate to do so much harm?  I truly doubt this.  Maybe I don't know some law of physics about a small explosion magnifying in effect if it can break through solid metal containment.  

A 500ML water bottle filled with home made explosives can disable and 23 ton armored truck.

A pressure cooker full of explosives could disable a 62 ton main battle tank.

A little goes a long way with this stuff.

 

Quote:

Family sized pressure cookers in the 1950s made a lot of sense, back when veggies came with old Chinese men a couple of times a week, dark green truck and wicker baskets.  A great way to cook real, fresh veg.  Now that so few people cook up fresh veg, local etc., will anyone with a dreaded pressure cooker be suspect?

do you think anyone with a pressure cooker will be a suspect? How about anyone with a lighter?

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

OathofStone wrote:

do you think anyone with a pressure cooker will be a suspect? How about anyone with a lighter?

Not if they are white.

Quote:

White privilege is knowing that even if the Boston Marathon bomber turns out to be white, his or her identity will not result in white folks generally being singled out for suspicion by law enforcement, or the TSA, or the FBI.

White privilege is knowing that even if the bomber turns out to be white, no one will call for whites to be profiled as terrorists as a result, subjected to special screening, or threatened with deportation.

White privilege is knowing that if the bomber turns out to be white, he or she will be viewed as an exception to an otherwise non-white rule, an aberration, an anomaly, and that he or she will be able to join the ranks of Tim McVeigh and Terry Nichols and Ted Kaczynski and Eric Rudolph and Joe Stack and George Metesky and Byron De La Beckwith and Bobby Frank Cherry and Thomas Blanton and Herman Frank Cash and Robert Chambliss and James von Brunn and Robert Mathews and David Lane and Michael F. Griffin and Paul Hill and John Salvi and James Kopp and Luke Helder and James David Adkisson and Scott Roeder and Shelley Shannon and Dennis Mahon and Wade Michael Page and Byron Williams and Kevin Harpham and William Krar and Judith Bruey and Edward Feltus and Raymond Kirk Dillard and Adam Lynn Cunningham and Bonnell Hughes and Randall Garrett Cole and James Ray McElroy and Michael Gorbey and Daniel Cowart and Paul Schlesselman and Frederick Thomas and Paul Ross Evans and Matt Goldsby and Jimmy Simmons and Kathy Simmons and Kaye Wiggins and Patricia Hughes and Jeremy Dunahoe and David McMenemy and Bobby Joe Rogers and Francis Grady and Demetrius Van Crocker and Floyd Raymond Looker, among the pantheon of white people who engage in (or have plotted) politically motivated violence meant to terrorize and kill, but whose actions result in the assumption of absolutely nothing about white people generally, or white Christians in particular.

And white privilege is being able to know nothing about the crimes committed by most of the terrorists listed above — indeed, never to have so much as heard most of their names — let alone to make assumptions about the role that their racial or ethnic identity may have played in their crimes.

White privilege is knowing that if the Boston bomber turns out to be white, we  will not be asked to denounce him or her, so as to prove our own loyalties to the common national good. It is knowing that the next time a cop sees one of us standing on the sidewalk cheering on runners in a marathon, that cop will say exactly nothing to us as a result.

White privilege is knowing that if you are a white student from Nebraska — as opposed to, say, a student from Saudi Arabia — that no one, and I mean no one would think it important to detain and question you in the wake of a bombing such as the one at the Boston Marathon.

And white privilege is knowing that if this bomber turns out to be white, the United States government will not bomb whatever corn field or mountain town or stale suburb from which said bomber came, just to ensure that others like him or her don’t get any ideas. And if he turns out to be a member of the Irish Republican Army we won’t bomb Belfast. And if he’s an Italian American Catholic we won’t bomb the Vatican.

http://www.timwise.org/

Paladin1

I bet if he or she or they turn out to be from Saudai Arabia they won't bomb them either.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

No because they are the American economy's biggest drug/oil dealer. However its citizens in the US will be profiled as terrorists as a result, subjected to special screening and threatened with deportation. The Saudi student was detained because he got injured in the blast and therefore was immediately suspect given his nationality and religion.  It will also lead to more vigilante killings by "ordinary" Americans as they go after anyone with a dark skin who looks like they might be from the Middle East. I wonder if any Sikhs will get murdered this time and how many Muslims will be accosted for the sin of heading into a Mosque.

Paladin1

kropotkin1951 wrote:

In the meantime this blast happened two days after the Boston tragedy. I am awaiting the reaction of all our political leaders to this tragedy in India.  I would hope that at least one of them would publicly send their deep condolences to the people and families. After all isn't India an ally and Commonwealth friend. Some days it seems that there are two types of humans on this planet, American citizens and everyone else.  We all must mourn the loss of American lives or become suspect.

 

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/Bangalore/Bomb-blast-in-Bangalo...

 

The only reason why you're mentioning this bomb blast in India is to waggle your finger at US politicans.  No one on rabble.ca seen fit to post or discuss this Indian bombing, does that make rabble as heartless as the US politicans? It would be unrealistic to assume posters here cover every news story the world over and have the inclination or time to offer public support.

The Boston Marathon bombing is a big deal in the US (and north america). Is it really a surprise why? Is it a surprise that a bombing in India would go generally overlooked by US citizens? The bombing happened here so it's a bigger deal than happening on the other side of the world.

I don't see any reaction from India over the Boston Marathon bombing, even though they're allies with the US as you say. Only the really sensational stories that the media runs with get picked up and put in the sport light.

What's more important than the US not making a public reaction about a bus bombing in India is how the US should get a handle on the media an consider a way to hold them acountable for spreading false information, if you ask me.

The media can pretty much say whatever they want and cite law-enforcement officials or an anonamyous source. It really pisses me off that the first "suspect" in all of this was the right wing stereo-typical "Saudi National". Which of course turned out to be a lie. News agencies use disasters like this to get ratings and publicity, the truth comes second, if not third.

Bec.De.Corbin Bec.De.Corbin's picture

Actually Canada is the USA's biggest drug/oil dealer, followed by Mexico. But please don't let that get in the way of your little anti USA/White people tirade you got going on here.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

I actually said "our political leaders."  I did not say your political leaders.  i am posting on a Canadian site from a Canadian perspective. By the way just because you don't hear a tree fall in a forest doesn't mean it didn't happen; "I don't see any reaction from India over the Boston Marathon bombing, even though they're allies with the US as you say." Notice that both their President and Prime Minister made statements. I spoke of them as "our" allies not US allies. You even missed the Commonwealth part of that sentence. I am sure Google will have something on the Commonwealth so that you can get a little more context than merely the typical xenophobic American world view.

Quote:

New Delhi, 16 April 2013: Condemning the blasts in the US city of Boston, Indian President Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday said the world should unite to combat the menace of terrorism. Extending sympathy to the families of the blast victims, the President expressed the hope that the perpetrators will be brought to justice, reported Press Trust of India (PTI).

"Terrorism shows no respect for any boundary and the world should unite to combat this menace," the President said here.

Meanwhile strongly condemning the Boston bomb blasts, Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh wrote to US President Barack Obama on Tuesday expressing solidarity with the American people in the wake of the "senseless and cowardly act".
The Prime Minister said it was a "tragic reminder" that the evil of terrorism that still threatened the US and India and "lurks in our cities". "The people of India join me in condemning the attack in the strongest terms, he added.

http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2013/04/16/indian_president_and_pm_condemn_boston_bomb_blasts,_express_solidarity/in2-683545

Paladin1

I stand corrected, my apology.  I did a quick google search but did not see anything, in hindsight I should have spent more time looking.

 

NorthReport

Meanwhile, new york post to the contrary, the police have no suspects yet.

 

Homegrown terrorists bigger threat than Islamic terrorists

In a new poll, 51 percent of voters say that domestic terrorists pose a greater threat on U.S. soil

 

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Bec.De.Corbin wrote:

Actually Canada is the USA's biggest drug/oil dealer, followed by Mexico. But please don't let that get in the way of your little anti USA/White people tirade you got going on here.

Sorry if they are only number three. As I said to Oath I am speaking from a Canadian perspective about what I want Canadian politicians to do.  Nice to see you have enough arrogant privilege to think you should stifle debate on a board hosted in a foreign country.  While we may be subjected to Pax Americana not all of us have accepted the fact that you rule our country.  Its strange how when Us oil companies ship Canadian resources to their US refineries under NAFTA it is seen as imported oil.  If I am not mistaken Obama and all other American politicians include Canadian oil when they talk about North American oil security.

Yes indeed what is ours is yours and what is yours is yours.

6079_Smith_W

Maybe those who have an understanding of tragedies like this aren't quite so inclined to reduce it to analysis.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/04/photos-to-bosto...

As for the states. sure it is a heavily protected and insular society, just like our own.There was a fellow on The Current this morning who said they wouldn't let terrorism defeat them. Quite the contrary, I think the spectre of fear and hostile attack is a driving force in much of the developed world, from foreign policy to gun ownership.

 

 

lagatta

A couple of the posts here really shocked me. Yes, at least from where I am writing, Boston is a lot closer not just physically but in terms of historical and cultural exchanges than Iraq or India, and even in BC, it is closer geographically because the Pacific Ocean is just so huge. However they are on the Pacific Rim and there are very large South Asian communities (as well as East Asian) so many would feel more subjective proximity with Bangalore. Lots of people from the Middle East and the Maghreb here, though far more from Lebanon and even Syria than Iraq.

I certainly have friends and colleagues in all the above countries. But beyond that, if there is more geographical and cultural proximity to Boston, shouldn't that mean we should be using the horrific images of a disaster in a place that looks a lot like Montréal (old North American eastern city) for example, to extend our empathy and outrage to all people who are victims of such organised violence?

Won't even go into the fact that more people in the US and in many other countries are killed and maimed in car crashes every day than the toll in this attack... They are normal collateral damage for ecocidal capitalism, even in the rich parts of the world (developing countries have far worse death and accident tolls on the roads).

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Here is an article written from an American progressive viewpoint.

http://rootsaction.org/news-a-views/625-the-orwellian-warfare-state-of-c...

Bec.De.Corbin Bec.De.Corbin's picture

kropotkin1951 wrote:

Nice to see you have enough arrogant privilege to think you should stifle debate on a board hosted in a foreign country.  While we may be subjected to Pax Americana not all of us have accepted the fact that you rule our country. 

 

I'm not stifeling any debait, I just commented on your little tirade you got going on here.

Please feel free to continue.

Oh and you (and others here) ARE jumping to concussions: no one has killed anybody over this. Martial law has NOT been declared and no trucks have showed up in Muslim neighborhoods to haul them away...

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

You already live under the Patriot Act and the National Defense Authorization Act which is martial law in everything but name.

Paladin1

lagatta wrote:

 

Won't even go into the fact that more people in the US and in many other countries are killed and maimed in car crashes every day than the toll in this attack... They are normal collateral damage for ecocidal capitalism, even in the rich parts of the world (developing countries have far worse death and accident tolls on the roads).

 

Should we only be concerned about terrorists setting off bombs at crowded places like marathons when the number of deaths in an attack is greater than the number of deaths caused that day by road fatalities? Or maybe smoking related?

Couldn't we simply say 100 deaths SEEMs like a lot but many more than that died in Africa because of starvation today so todays terrorist attack with 100 deaths isn't that big of a deal yet.

janfromthebruce

White privlege is knowing that if a white person is responsible for said bombing who will be called a lone wacko or loony or something similar, and a isolated aberration of the white group. And one who suggests such, is someone who is completely unaware of their own white privlege. 

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Tim Wise is unaware of his white privilege, really? How did you jump to that conclusion. I quote him because I think he has a lot to teach us about the subject.

Quote:

Tim Wise, whom philosopher Cornel West calls, “A vanilla brother in the tradition of (antiracism and antislavery fighter) John Brown,” is among the most prominent anti-racist writers and educators in the United States. He has been called “One of the most brilliant, articulate and courageous critics of white privilege in the nation,” by best-selling author and professor Michael Eric Dyson, of Georgetown University. Wise, who was named one of “25 Visionaries Who are Changing Your World,” by Utne Reader in 2010, has spoken in all 50 states of the U.S., on over 800 college and high school campuses, and to community groups across the nation. He has also lectured internationally in Canada and Bermuda on issues of comparative racism, race and education, racism and religion, and racism in the labor market.

Wise is the author of six books, including the highly acclaimed memoir, White Like Me: Reflections on Race from a Privileged Son; an academic volume on affirmative action, entitled, Affirmative Action: Racial Preference in Black and White; an essay collection, entitled, Speaking Treason Fluently: Anti-Racist Reflections From an Angry White Male; two books on race and racism in the Obama era, entitled respectively, Between Barack and a Hard Place: Racism and White Denial in the Age of Obama, and Colorblind: The Rise of Post-Racial Politics and the Retreat from Racial Equity; and his latest, Dear White America: Letter to a New Minority, which examines rising white anxiety in an increasingly multicultural nation. His next book, The Culture of Cruelty: How America’s Elite Demonize the Poor, Valorize the Rich and Jeopardize the Future will be released in Fall, 2013. He has contributed essays to twenty-five books, and is one of several persons featured in White Men Challenging Racism: Thirty-Five Personal Stories, from Duke University Press. He received the 2001 British Diversity Award for best feature essay on race issues, and his writings have appeared in dozens of popular, professional and scholarly journals.

http://www.timwise.org/about/

Paladin1

 

Bec.De.Corbin Bec.De.Corbin's picture

kropotkin1951 wrote:

You already live under the Patriot Act and the National Defense Authorization Act which is martial law in everything but name.

Marital law, smarshal law, I can pretty much do what I want, go where I want and own what I want. I can drive over 1200 miles from Texas to Pennsylvania across 5 states and never once have to stop at a check point or border crossing to show an ID card. The only things I really can’t stand are my states marijuana laws and those stupid traffic enforcement cameras that are starting to show up everywhere. Rights wise the federal government for the most part doesn’t bother me one bit. Of its course politics is another thing, but that is not what we are talking about here.

 

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

Bec.De.Corbin wrote:

Marital law, smarshal law, I can pretty much do what I want, go where I want and own what I want. ... Rights wise the federal government for the most part doesn’t bother me one bit.

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the socialists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Catholic.

Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak for me.

DaveW

Bec.De.Corbin wrote:

Actually Canada is the USA's biggest drug/oil dealer, followed by Mexico. But please don't let that get in the way of your little anti USA/White people tirade you got going on here.

 

http://www.infoplease.com/science/energy/us-oil-imports.html

I though  Venezuela was higher...

lagatta

Oath of Stone, if you are insinuating that I don't care about the death of that little boy, you are even dimmer than I thought.

I was terribly upset when this happened; couldn't even work. Lots of academic exchanges and hockey rivalry with our friends in Boston.

No point in explaining that this is NOT what I meant.

janfromthebruce

I also did not mean that Anti-racist campaigner Tim Wise was unaware of his white privilege. I was actually alluding to a famour Canadian who used "lone wacko" or something close to that as perhaps a suspect.

Often times, the "crazed loner" is attributed as the standin when it's a white person who commits such an senseless crime. How else to explain how a "white person" could do such a thing to other innocent citizens.

Sorry you misunderstood me.

In the future, I won't be responding to your posts - ever.

kropotkin1951 kropotkin1951's picture

janfromthebruce wrote:

I also did not mean that Anti-racist campaigner Tim Wise was unaware of his white privilege. I was actually alluding to a famour Canadian who used "lone wacko" or something close to that as perhaps a suspect.

Often times, the "crazed loner" is attributed as the standin when it's a white person who commits such an senseless crime. How else to explain how a "white person" could do such a thing to other innocent citizens.

Sorry I did not understand your post. Will you share who the famous Canadian is or do I have to guess.  Indeed Tim's article highlights that thought process so you confused me by not stating who you were talking about.

NorthReport

These guys should sue the post.

Meet The Two Immigrant Runners Wrongly Fingered As "Possible Suspects" In The Boston Marathon Bombing

 

 

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/runners-fingered-as-bombing-suspects...

Paladin1

lagatta wrote:

Oath of Stone, if you are insinuating that I don't care about the death of that little boy, you are even dimmer than I thought.

I was terribly upset when this happened; couldn't even work. Lots of academic exchanges and hockey rivalry with our friends in Boston.

No point in explaining that this is NOT what I meant.

 

I'm quite sure I am more dim than you could possibly imagine.

 

I didn't mean to suggest that you didn't care Lagatta. My post was geared towards what I feel is a common enough response when something like this happens.

Kids die of starvation every day.

People are killed in car accidents every day.

People die all over the place, statistically speaking 3 deaths is a drop in the bucket- kinda thing.

If I was brighter I would probably see that I took your post in the wrong context ;)

 

The picture is a reflection of both the sad irony of the deceased 8 year olds wise message about peace and that we had pictures of IEDs, police officers, a US flag- why not an 8 year old who died while at a marathon supporting his parent.

 

I hate that when something like this happens the media and politicans are fresh on the tail of the ambulance looking for bloody bandages to start throwing at each other.

 

lagatta

Well then, you are excused for that one! I didn't think it was inappropriate to post the pic of the little boy, just after the other post. My point is that car crashes (which aren't really "accidents") and starvation for that matter are also forms of violence accepted as collateral damage by the capitalist system, and just as devastating, especially when very young people are involved and had no future whatsoever.

NorthReport

""

Bec.De.Corbin Bec.De.Corbin's picture

kropotkin1951 wrote:

Bec.De.Corbin wrote:

Marital law, smarshal law, I can pretty much do what I want, go where I want and own what I want. ... Rights wise the federal government for the most part doesn’t bother me one bit.

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the socialists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Catholic.

Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak for me.

Write all the fancy poems you want you're still wrong. I know people in all 5 of those groups and they are still around.

 

Pages

Topic locked