EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY DEADLINE: November 25, 2008 POSITION TITLE: Team Leader, Major and Planned GiftsDEPARTMENT: Fund Development
LOCATION: Toronto, OntarioSTATUS: Full-time (Unionized)SUPERVISOR: Director of DevelopmentDIRECT REPORTS: 3 Full-time Staff (Major Gifts) SALARY RANGE: Band 3 $55, 447.47 - $71, 997.99 salary increasing by 3.25% on April 1, 2009 APPLICATIONS: Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting TLMPG1108 in the subject line
Oxfam Canada is an international development agency committed to building lasting solutions to global poverty and injustice by advocating for fundamental social change. We work in relationships of solidarity and partnership to eradicate poverty and injustice, with a focus on women’s rights and gender equality. Oxfam Canada’s annual operating budget is approximately $15 million, sourced from a combination of individual donors and institutional funders including CIDA. In Canada and around the world, Oxfam Canada plans and delivers its programs in concert with the global network of Oxfam International. The thirteen member Fund Development Department is comprised of eleven Toronto-based staff and one Major Gifts Officer in the Halifax and Vancouver offices. The fund development plan includes revenues raised through the following programs: Annual Giving, Major and Planned (Legacy) Giving, Corporate and Institutional Giving, Special Events and Oxfam Unwrapped. Along with significantly increasing revenues and diversifying funding streams, Oxfam Canada’s five year strategic plan requires significantly increased funding and an aggressive fund development goal, the expansion of our active donor base, increased engagement of members and volunteers in our fund development activities, and a greater renewed emphasis on Major Gifts fundraising as an integral part of our overall fund development plan. In order to reach our five-year revenue target, our organizational funding strategy identifies the need to generate and annually sustain a financial target that triples revenues generated by its Major and Planned Giving programs.
SUMMARY Reporting to the Director of Development and supporting the Fund Development Team, providing direct leadership to the Major Gifts Team, and working with key members and volunteers, the Team Leader, Major and Planned Gifts is responsible to develop and implement a comprehensive national major gifts and planned giving program for Oxfam Canada; provide leadership in building and managing relationships with prospects and donors; build, lead and mentor a successful team to meet targets and implement a major gifts program and culture; and coordinate the collection and analysis of major and planned gifts related data. She/he will manage some prospect and donor accounts and in addition she/he will manage the relationship with a small number of individual and institutional donors.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: MAJOR GIFTS AND PLANNED GIVING PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION
- Develop and implement an expanded national major and planned gifts program plan to meet program goals and objectives;
- Closely monitor and evaluate program performance against targets and adjust plans and strategies accordingly to meet or exceed overall team revenue goal;
- Develop and implement a plan to secure several new planned gift commitments each year as well as a strategy to manage relationships with donors who have signed a letter of intent or identified that they have made provisions for a planned gift;
- Keep informed about tax aspects of all types of charitable gifts and keep current with new legislation and Canada Revenue Agency rulings affecting gifts;
- Ensure that prospect research is conducted and cultivation strategies are developed and detailed for major donor prospects;
- Identify and research for possible approach, potential major donors capable of making gifts in the five to six figure range;
- Develop and implement plan to identify, recruit, train, motivate and engage key members and volunteers in major gifts fundraising where appropriate;
- Utilize existing networks and connections to recruit and maximize organizational opportunities;
- Work with appropriate fund development and communications staff to identify and develop marketing materials for specific major and planned gift uses;
- Provide leadership and direction to the Donor Stewardship Officer to develop and implement specific stewardship strategies for major donors, ensuring that program update reports are available for Major Donor Team;
- Prepare and monitor detailed annual and operational plans for the Major Donor Team including setting team financial targets and managing team expense budgets.
LEADING AND BUILDING RELATIONSHIP WITH MAJOR DONORS AND MAJOR DONOR PROSPECTS
- Build relationship with major gift donors or prospects including corporate and foundation accounts;
- Work with members of the Major Gifts Team, the Institutional Fundraiser and Donor Stewardship Officer to ensure that appropriate proposals are prepared and delivered to major donors or major donor prospects to gain their support;
- Ensure that a plan is in place to engage key members and volunteers in the prospect identification and solicitation process;
- Work closely with the Core Donor Officer to develop a moves management strategy to help donors progress through the giving cycle.
TEAM LEADERSHIP AND DEVELOPMENT
- Lead and mentor members of the Major Gift Team in managing their responsibilities;
- Oversee the development of team and individual workplans as well as conduct performance evaluations for all team members;
- Foster a positive team dynamic with consistent practices and methods across the team.
PROGRAM REPORTING AND MONITORING
- Work with the Data Base/ Donor Administrator to develop appropriate metrics to measure major and planned giving program performance;
- Ensure that systems and procedures are implemented to regularly capture appropriate data for reporting, monitoring and evaluating purposes;
- Provide guidance to the Data Base/Donor Administrator and Donor Relations staff to ensure that data is captured and tracked using best practices and procedures for managing major and planned gifts.
SUPPORTING OVERALL FUND DEVELOPMENT GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- Under the direction of the Director of Development provide assistance in coordinating the fund development process;
- Contribute to the development and preparation of the overall department budget;
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- University degree or post-secondary diploma or equivalent combination of education and direct related experience working in fund development in a not-for-profit organization;
- Minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years of major gift experience; CFRE is an asset;
- Knowledge, understanding and commitment to global justice, social change, women’s rights and gender equality;
· Direct experience and comprehensive understanding of fundraising methods, cultivating and securing major gifts;· Experience soliciting and securing five and six figure (or higher) major gifts;· Demonstrated knowledge and experience managing planned giving vehicles and programs;· General knowledge of a range of fundraising concepts including direct experience cultivating, soliciting, securing and stewarding major donors;· Understanding of and demonstrated ability to conduct donor research;
- Superior public relations skills with experience working directly with donors and very senior volunteers;
- Demonstrated commitment to a participatory management approach;
- Experience managing senior fund development staff;
- Excellent program, strategic planning and budget management skills;
- Proficient analytical and evaluation skills;
- Excellent English language written and verbal communication skills; including the ability to effectively and concisely communicate complex issues;
- Demonstrated ability to influence prospects by demonstrating how Oxfam Canada programs align with its philanthropic priorities;
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and manage multiple projects with high efficiency and accuracy;
- Proven capacity to work in a self-directed manner as well as demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively with other staff and volunteers;
- High proficiency using computer applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and fundraising database, Raiser’s Edge database highly preferable;
- Knowledge of second language, including French or Spanish, a definite asset;
- Ability to travel across Canada on a regular basis
- Ability to undertake international travel, sometimes in difficult circumstances.
This position offers a comprehensive Benefits package. We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Oxfam Canada practices employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.