rabble blogs are the personal pages of some of Canada's most insightful progressive activists and commentators. All opinions belong to the writer; however, writers are expected to adhere to our guidelines. We welcome new bloggers -- contact us for details.

Activist Communique: More G20 questions than answers

I've been tracking the case of Dorian Barton since the G20 for rabble.ca and have new updates for my readers.

Here's the story so far...

Dorian Barton -- represented by the law firm Ruby & Shiller -- is suing the Toronto Police Force for allegedly beating him on June 26, 2010, as he was arrested while demonstrating against the G20 summit at Queen's Park. Queen's Park had been established as the official G20 free speech/protest zone prior to the summit.

Barton was arrested -- and allegedly beaten by police -- before being taken to the Eastern Avenue Detention Centre where he was held for a total of 30 hours. Charged with obstructing a police officer and unlawful demonstration, these charges were one of the first to be dropped at an August 23, 2010 court appearance.

Among the injuries Barton alleged he sustained at the hands of the Toronto police were a shattered upper right arm. He did receive some medical attention during his incarceration at the Eastern Avenue Detention Centre, though he had to wait for hours in excruciating pain from that broken arm.

While the SIU originally closed Barton's case regarding his allegations of police battery citing a lack of evidence, new photos have emerged documenting his arrest which the SIU will now consider.

[May I note: the very same thing happened in the case of Adam Nobody, where the SIU also first ruled that it lacked sufficient evidence to conclude any wrongdoing by the Toronto police for lack of evidence to identify the officers allegedly involved. As in Nobody's case, new photo evidence have emerged from the public. Constable Babek Andalib-Goortani (who was not wearing his mandatory police identification at the time) has been charged with assault with a weapon against Adam Nobody. He is scheduled to appear in court January 24, 2010.]

Barton's lawyers were to announce their civil claim against the Toronto police on Wednesday January 12, 2010, with a nine-page statement of claim filed in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice seeking $250,000 for Barton's alleged assault and battery, unlawful arrest and detention and "negligent investigation."

This week, reporting on the reopened SIU investigation into Barton's allegations -- in which he firmly stands -- SIU director Ian Scott claims that the police are still unable to identify the officer that allegedly beat Barton. This is despite the fact that one of the witness officers actually bunked with the officer that allegedly attacked Barton, and yet this witness officer still claims they cannot identify him.

Photographer Andrew Wallace had provided to the SIU a picture of an unnamed officer while Barton's arrests takes place. Wallace said he saw the officer strike Barton and yet it is pictures like these -- as well as video evidence -- from which eleven officers were unable to indentify their colleague.

Scott also told the Toronto Star two other witness officers who could not name the suspect officer were supervisors.

"An internal investigation is underway, and we will look at all the circumstances involved in the alleged Barton assault," said police spokesman Mark Pugash.

"I can tell you that all circumstances will be looked into, and where there is evidence, people will be charged," he said, adding that officers could be fired if wrongdoing is found.

This concludes the announcement last week that the SIU could not -- without the proper identification -- lay any criminal charges resulting from Barton's heavy handed take-down

**

Like what you read? Consider supporting www.rabble.ca -- news for the rest of us. Support us as a paying member (click here) or in making a one-off donation (click here).

Thank you for reading this story…

More people are reading rabble.ca than ever and unlike many news organizations, we have never put up a paywall – at rabble we’ve always believed in making our reporting and analysis free to all, while striving to make it sustainable as well. Media isn’t free to produce. rabble’s total budget is likely less than what big corporate media spend on photocopying (we kid you not!) and we do not have any major foundation, sponsor or angel investor. Our main supporters are people and organizations -- like you. This is why we need your help. You are what keep us sustainable.

rabble.ca has staked its existence on you. We live or die on community support -- your support! We get hundreds of thousands of visitors and we believe in them. We believe in you. We believe people will put in what they can for the greater good. We call that sustainable.

So what is the easy answer for us? Depend on a community of visitors who care passionately about media that amplifies the voices of people struggling for change and justice. It really is that simple. When the people who visit rabble care enough to contribute a bit then it works for everyone.

And so we’re asking you if you could make a donation, right now, to help us carry forward on our mission. Make a donation today.

Comments

We welcome your comments! rabble.ca embraces a pro-human rights, pro-feminist, anti-racist, queer-positive, anti-imperialist and pro-labour stance, and encourages discussions which develop progressive thought. Our full comment policy can be found here. Learn more about Disqus on rabble.ca and your privacy here. Please keep in mind:

Do

  • Tell the truth and avoid rumours.
  • Add context and background.
  • Report typos and logical fallacies.
  • Be respectful.
  • Respect copyright - link to articles.
  • Stay focused. Bring in-depth commentary to our discussion forum, babble.

Don't

  • Use oppressive/offensive language.
  • Libel or defame.
  • Bully or troll.
  • Post spam.
  • Engage trolls. Flag suspect activity instead.