10 000 Tastes, 10 Billion Reasons
Wednesday August 10, 2011
12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. @ Dundas Square
7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. at Hart House, U of T.
The call out:
Empathy Unlimited and the Toronto Vegetarian Association present 10 000 Tastes, 10 Billion Reasons, a two-part event on Wednesday, August 10 featuring Gene Baur, president and co-founder of Farm Sanctuary, as part of the sanctuary's 25th anniversary tour.
The afternoon portion of the event (10,000 Tastes) will run from 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. at Yonge-Dundas Square, Canada's busiest intersection. The event, which is free and open to the public, will include:
* 5000 free veggie dogs, sponsored by Tofurky!
* 5000 free cookies, compliments of Sweets from the Earth!
* Free samples of some of the best vegan foods on the market, including Daiya, Vega, Natur-a, Sol Cuisine, Yoso, and Sunrise Tofu!
* A live taping of YouTube sensation Vegan Meal Time
* NHL players Georges Laraque and Mike Zigomanis!
The evening portion of the event (10 Billion Reasons) runs from 7:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. and is a ticketed presentation that will take place in the Hart House's Great Hall at the University of Toronto. This portion of the event will include:
* Gene's presentation highlighting the founding of Farm Sanctuary and how we can create a more compassionate society
* The Canadian Empathy Awards, an awards ceremony in honour of Canada's most diligent and outspoken animal defenders. Recipients include Georges Laraque, Rebecca Aldworth, Jo-Anne McArthur, rabble.ca, Lesli Bisgould, and Councillors Wong-Tam and De Baeremaeker!
* A vegan raffle with $5000 in prizes!
Proceeds from the event will be donated to Farm Sanctuary, the Toronto Vegetarian Association, We Animals, and Snooters Farm Animal Sanctuary.
Tickets for the evening portion of the event can be purchased at three different places:
- Panacea Vegan Grocery Store (588 Bloor Street West)
- The Toronto Vegetarian Association during Resource Centre Hours: 6-9 Wednesdays, 1-4 Saturdays (17 Baldwin Street)
- Online at www.vegantoatee.com for payments with credit/debit cards! (Pick up at the door on event night!)
*Panacea and the TVA are cash only sales!
Fore updates, please see: 10 000 Tastes, 10 Billion Reasons (with Gene Baur)
Thank you for reading this story…
More people are reading rabble.ca than ever and unlike many news organizations, we have never put up a paywall – at rabble we’ve always believed in making our reporting and analysis free to all, while striving to make it sustainable as well. Media isn’t free to produce. rabble’s total budget is likely less than what big corporate media spend on photocopying (we kid you not!) and we do not have any major foundation, sponsor or angel investor. Our main supporters are people and organizations -- like you. This is why we need your help. You are what keep us sustainable.
rabble.ca has staked its existence on you. We live or die on community support -- your support! We get hundreds of thousands of visitors and we believe in them. We believe in you. We believe people will put in what they can for the greater good. We call that sustainable.
So what is the easy answer for us? Depend on a community of visitors who care passionately about media that amplifies the voices of people struggling for change and justice. It really is that simple. When the people who visit rabble care enough to contribute a bit then it works for everyone.
And so we’re asking you if you could make a donation, right now, to help us carry forward on our mission. Make a donation today.