Every day Canadians use about 343 gallons of water per person! We take our access to clean, abundant water for granted. A lot of this water is swirling down the drain in your toilet. Wasting water is expensive and terrible for the planet.
Now you can do your part in less than three minutes by turning your toilet into a low-flush one by just using materials in your own home.
It's so easy!
1) Find a half-gallon jug with a screw on lid. It could be an old laundry detergent bottle, water bottle, whatever you have lying around in your recycling bin.
2) Take the lid off the back of your toilet tank. Make sure the bottle fits inside the toilet without interfering with any of the pieces in your toilet. It should just sit in the water, off to the side.
3) Fill your half-gallon jug with water (or those old pennies you have!) or sand and screw the lid on tightly.
4) Place in your toilet tank.
5) Put the lid back on the toilet tank.
Now your toilet will use half the water it otherwise would. Who knew saving the planet could be so easy?
Thank you for reading this story…
More people are reading rabble.ca than ever and unlike many news organizations, we have never put up a paywall – at rabble we’ve always believed in making our reporting and analysis free to all, while striving to make it sustainable as well. Media isn’t free to produce. rabble’s total budget is likely less than what big corporate media spend on photocopying (we kid you not!) and we do not have any major foundation, sponsor or angel investor. Our main supporters are people and organizations -- like you. This is why we need your help. You are what keep us sustainable.
rabble.ca has staked its existence on you. We live or die on community support -- your support! We get hundreds of thousands of visitors and we believe in them. We believe in you. We believe people will put in what they can for the greater good. We call that sustainable.
So what is the easy answer for us? Depend on a community of visitors who care passionately about media that amplifies the voices of people struggling for change and justice. It really is that simple. When the people who visit rabble care enough to contribute a bit then it works for everyone.
And so we’re asking you if you could make a donation, right now, to help us carry forward on our mission. Make a donation today.